Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Slugs and Snails

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rebenda, Jul 6, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Arggh their driving me mad!

right our garden has always been like attack of the slugs and snails and every night their coming up to poor charlies cage theyv never been able to get in coz its been raised off the floor but this weekend we built him a new house and its not off the floor( we are now planning on how to do this) so they are like im in there! i have just pulled (whilst screaming like a wimp) about 20 away and off his cage poor charlie jumping around an circling me getting all excited lol does anyone else have this problem?and if so how have u solved it? i dont wanna get some sort of pellets as a dont wanna run any risk with charlie and the dog also any other animals that may go through the garden during the night.

please help their driving me mad my mum were pulling them all off last night.

yuck yuck yuck!

2. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

My hutches are on legs and I still find they get full of slugs - it is disgusting. I don't have any solution so will be interested to see if anyone else has come up with any ideas?

Sometimes when I go out to check on my fur babies at night I tread on one - it is totally gross:(

I don't particularly want to kill them - I try not to deliberately kill anything - but I would love to find a way to stop them getting in with my bunnies.

3. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Yea im the same i dont really want to kill any thing just make them stay away lol hate it when u accidently stand on them god i feel awful about it afterwards. yukkyyyy

4. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Get chickens :) lol you wont see any slugs in the day at least, or any other insect life come to that.

its so funny watching them trying to catch flies lol slugs are like treasure to chickens its just a shame hens sleep at night when slugs come out.

put some crushed egg shells around the legs, slugs cant get over egg shells or put some beer near the legs it will drown them although it is a waste of beer so try the eggs shells lol

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i have the same problem, my garden full of them but i dont know what i can use.
    would a bun lick salt? cos that would clear them lol might leave a slime patch lol but ive not used it in case the buns lick the salt.
    anyone know?

6. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I tend to put a ring of salt around the hutch at night when the slug plague starts. Since slugs and snails tend to come out when its dfamp and cooler at night then disappear in the morning I find the salt works well as i can just sweep it up in the morning before letting the bunnies out so they don't stand on it to get it in their fur. Using salt dries them out and makes the suffocate they die quite fast from it and never reach the hutch. This works for me since the hutch is on concrete but for those of you who have hutches on the grass it might be slightly harder. Although I have read in a magazone recently that putting a copper coin in a pot keeps slugs away from the plants maybe adjusting this idea may work on the rabbit hutches, a couple of pennies glued along the bottom edge of the hutch may work or putting a couple on the grass around the hutch at night, no guarentees on this method though I onl;y read it in a magazone but haven't actually tried it myself yet.

7. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Put some thin copper wire around the legs of the hutch, they can't get past it as it gives them a shock

8. frags

frags PetForums VIP

my garden was like a horror movie last night, im not exagerating it was disgusting and FULL of snails n slugs everywhere!!

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

theres a great book called 50 ways to kill a slug, with some serious methods in it. I personally used to use salt many years back after finding them in the food bowl. I have read about copper and you could buy some metal strips form b&q etc and nail round the hutch feet.

10. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

cheers for the ideas my mums plan is to go round the whole garden and pick them and move them down to the field....bless her lol shed be there days lol another quick question do they poo? when i went out today he seems to have like tiny strings of poo on the side of the cage?

11. snowsurfer

snowsurfer PetForums Junior

When I had tomatoes in my other house I just used ash from the chimney, it worked pretty well. Slugs and snails will not go over dry ash. The thing is that I live in Madrid with it's 40-50 days/year of rain tops, if you are in the UK you will probably have to reapply the ash VERY often. :)

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We have more snails now then I've ever seen in my life before.:eek: I had about 15 on my windowsill the other day and one was actually crawling up my window. We've always had trouble with slugs getting into the rabbit bowls and my rabbits food is at the top of a two storey hutch and they still get in the bowls.:eek:

13. snowsurfer

snowsurfer PetForums Junior

I have a very good recipe for snails au vin.... :D

14. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Can rabbits get lungworm?

15. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

I hate slugs, every morning i go out to check on peppa (and now snowball!) his dish is covered with slug slime and you can see all the trails they have left on the concrete its horrible! :eek:

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

:eek: :laugh:

17. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

You can get slug traps, there like plastic containers which you put a little lager/beer into... they follow the scent & dive in for the beer...:D

Alway best to put the traps in the opposite end of the garden of the hutches / kennels etc...

& they do really work, i have used them in the past...;)

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Here's one climbing up my front window the other day.:eek:
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice