Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Slug Pallets

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dalestorm, Apr 17, 2011.

1. dalestorm

dalestorm PetForums Member

I never had to worry about my old cat she never showed any interest in gardening but Ruby and Suzy are very curious. I want to plant up the garden today but unless I put something down the slugs will eat the lot tonight.

So I was wondering what are the best pet friendly slug pallets? or has anyone had any problems with there puss and pallets.

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I feel your pain :)I have started planting slug safe plants as it is much more cost effective and I have no worries that I have poisoned anyone.Please be very careful in the use of slug pellets as it is not just cats ,dogs ect that suffer all wildlife can be poisoned by slug pellets.I found these with a quick google The Organic Gardening Catalogue I'm sure there will be loads more.

3. dalestorm

I'm thinking of trying Nemaslug which is a microrganism that kills slugs, in the mean time I think it'll be beer traps unless the cats take a liking to it.

Not going down the pellet route with these two.

4. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Id be tempted to go the beer route as well

5. dalestorm

I've put my plants out got some pots ready for the beer then just remembered, I don't drink!? We've got no beer in. Off the shop later for a can of beer :D

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

thank you from the hedgehogs!

Liz

7. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Dalestorm - in this weather its a magners

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

For you yes,for the slugs any supermarket "basic" will do.Dont want the word getting around that there is a beerfest going on in your garden :D

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Please please please don't use slugs pellets, not only for the safety of our pets, but also for the safety of the nations Hedgehogs!

I'd use beer, or copper tape though that would be harder to use. So a beer glass sunk into the ground with a few centimetres of beer in it would be best :D

10. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

On the subject of which - I've got a lawn full of dandelions and a garden full of weeds. Is there such a thing as cat safe weedkiller?

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I know my FIL swears by lawn sand. It churns the weeds roots or something when he mows. I do know that's all he uses and has never had a weed problem.

I personally lovely seeing all the daisies, wild lavender, dandelions, buttercups, clover and what not. I think it looks pretty. Till hubby mows the lawn that is :rolleyes:

I get really sweat shots like these when it's in full bloom...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol: I could go on and on. I love my wild lawn :D

12. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

They're lovely :) I agree - unfortunately my landlady and I do not see eye to eye about my plans for a wildlife garden!

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That's a bummer :( Thankfully our landlord is very good about stuff like that. He's seen the results from it himself, so I think that helped sway the balance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice