Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Slow feeder recommendations

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LittleEms, Mar 17, 2021.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Hi all,
    I am hoping someone can give me a good recommendation for a slow feeder suitable for wet (raw) food. I can only find good ones for dry food.

Bugsy has vomited shortly after eating a couple of times and I am sure it is because he eats way too fast. He will finish his bowl in under a minute sometimes!! He’s fine otherwise and it’s literally just the food he just ate that comes back up, nothing else suspicious.

tia! Em

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Ooo difficult! However you could try a lickimat Soother and spread the raw out over it. I feed my dog this way and it does slow her down as she has to lick the food up rather than being able to just wolf it down.

3. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Have you tried raising his bowl first? A upside cereal bowl works well under usual bowl.

I was suggested to do that for Loki as he would inhale his food then vomit it back. It worked really well and I feed him on the stairs and he shades stopped regurgitating his food.

Apparently according to my vet, they sometimes bolt their food as they are uncomfortable from the acid refluxing into their oesphagus. So they try to eat as quickly as possible. By raising their bowl the acid doesn’t reflux as easily or as much. So they slow down to eat.

4. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I’ve been looking at slow feeder bowls and puzzle feeders recently but also for wet food (my boys have raw). I think I am going to try a bowl that is designed for dry food as I can’t see why some of them wouldn’t work with wet food too. Only giving it a go will tell me. If it’s too hard, he may give up (unlikely with Kito) or it may be messy. Kito isn’t sick, but he eats so fast it’s gone in seconds. Then I have to occupy him whilst Mosi finishes his. I’m also thinking of trying a lickimat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice