Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Slow Feeder Advice?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Saelime, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Saelime

Saelime PetForums Newbie

One of my cats has a barrage of health problems, the poor guy, I’m trying to make life as easy as possible for him obviously, and one of his issues is he eats way too fast during his morning feed, and gets sick nearly always after. The vet recommended he use a slow feeder or a puzzle feeder.

This sounds like a great idea, except for two reasons;
    1. My poor cat has very few teeth left and finds digging around for food very hard, if some wet food is squished into a corner of his bowl he can’t get at it until we loosen it with a fork or something.
    2. Because of his teeth, he rarely eats dry food so is on a 98% wet food diet, which most puzzle feeders/slow feeders don’t seem equipped for.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations regarding slow feeders for wet food? Or any other methods of slowing my cat down while he’s eating his breakfast?

Also please no lectures on the rest of my cats health issues, we work closely with the vet to ensure he is as comfortable as possible and despite his issues he’s still a playful and affectionate cat.

2. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

I use these (well I did but my girls have slowed down quite a bit on their own now, so can use normal bowls). The can of bean was just to show the size of them
    WIN_20180102_18_47_37_Pro.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016S36WW2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are good quality, reasonably heavy so they don't slide around. I got the smallest size and they are great. I use exclusively wet food (raw)

It definitely made a difference and they actually seemed more satisfied after eating their meals as they didn't inhale it in 5 seconds.
    I find with my 2 that they don't use their teeth to get bits out of the corners, they flick at it with their tongues.
    Not sure if your kitty would cope with this, but thought I let you know about these.

For puzzle feeders, will he do a puzzle? You can get plastic ones, so you can keep them nice and clean, I have a few, but I think they'd be very tricky to provide a meal in, putting it in all the little places, but I guess it could work. The simplest 1 I had was this, may work for you:
    WIN_20171003_11_10_42_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171003_11_20_29_Pro.jpg

3. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I have previously tried to use several types of slow feeders with my cat who has since been diagnosed with 3 different types of IBD. My experiences were as follows:-

1)The gobble stop type bowl ://www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/dogs_accessories/dog_feeders_bowls/slow_feeder_dog_bowls/370300

This did not slow my cat's eating whatsoever. Breakfast was still inhaled in 20 seconds.

2) The " interactive " slow feeder. http://www.snackandtack.co.uk/pets-...vAkgN9NpXemeef5zGDD52vSMlSO1T3RMaApYJEALw_wcB

This slowed his eating time from 20 seconds to 20 minutes however it caused my cat to vomit every time it was used. I only tried with three meals then decided that it was unsuitable . I believe that the reason it failed so badly was because it must have made him anxious. He was extremely food obsessed at that time. It may not look suitable for use with wet food however that was how I used it. It was a PITA to get clean though.

As I've already mentioned it emerged that my cat actually has IBD but I thought that you might find my experiences helpful.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The best way to slow feed a cat is to give small portions 10-15 minutes a part. Portion out his morning wet meal into 3-4 small meals, then put one small portion in his dish,. wait 10-15 minutes then put another portion in and so on until he has eaten it all.

If this is being caused by bile build up you might consider giving him a piece of freeze dried chicken breast half hour or so before starting his morning meal. He doens't need teeth to eat it, and it will soak up the bile in his tummy that has accumulated over night, making it more likely he'll keep his food down, fed as described.

Torin., chillminx and buffie like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I was just about to say exactly the same thing.

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with buffie and lorilu about the small portions served frequently.

Also leave a small portion of food for him overnight in a timed autofeeder, so he goes no more than 5 hours without food. This helps reduce over production of gastric acid.

To slow him down when he eats, serve his food on a large flat plate, (like a salad plate) and spread the food around the plate so he can't take big mouthfuls at a time.

To help an older cat eat more comfortably raise the plate a few cms by standing it on a large thick book. I find if the plate is raised by 5 - 6 cms it helps one of my cats a lot.

buffie likes this.
  7. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Member

I would definitely try the raised feed bowl, that and giving Loki an extra meal before bed has stopped him throwing up because he ‘gobbles’ his food. I bought the anti gobble bowls but they seemed to do little for his vomiting his food straight up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice