Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

slipmating

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by robbo030576, May 26, 2010.

1. robbo030576

robbo030576 PetForums Newbie

hi my bitch (labrador) is in season at the moment and i caught her yesterday with what i have recently found out is called a slip mating with the dog next door i scared him away so there was definately no tie and just wondered if she could have got pregnant from this any advice is much appreciated thanks

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

she can be pregnant from a slip mating. a bitch in season should NEVER be left alone at any time. do you plan to breed her in future? what is the breed of the dog?

3. robbo030576

robbo030576 PetForums Newbie

shes just a family pet so we hadnt really thought of breeding her the male is also labrador we have a 6ft fence between us i never realised they would break through it to mate

4. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Yes, she could get pregnant from this. Take her to your vets asap and get a mismate, and an inseason bitch should never be left in a garden unattended.

In which case, I guess she won't have had health tests, nor the neighbour's dog.

Oh yes

#4 rocco33, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

male dogs will get to a female by any means. :eek: I advise the mismate jab or an emergency spay.

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Don't you believe it - they have been known to mate through crate and kennel bars :rolleyes:

As your bitch hasn't been health tested (assumption made on the fact you have never considered breeding her) and the dog next door also probably hasn't been health tested, I too would advise the Mismate jab and / or neuter her.

If you don't intend breeding, and don't show, then there are many health benefits from getting her neutered - and also - no future risk of the young man next door wanting to come and pay an uninvited visit.

Have you checked with the owners whether the dog is neutered or not? as obviously this will make a difference to what you do next - contrary to popular belief - neutered dogs can and do exactly the same as entire dogs, they just can't make the girl pregnant :D

PLEASE don't think of going ahead with a possible litter if both parents are not health-tested.

I've got the opposite problem in my house - one of my girls pines outside my boys 'bedroom' from about day three of her season right through to the end of it!!!!

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I would go and get get the mismate then in 4 weeks go and have her scanned by the best scanner in your area, most vets are rubbish at scanning. Occasionally the mismate doesn't work but there is another one later in the pregnancy you can have. Please do not be tempted to think "maybe letting her have puppies may be a good idea" It is the worst idea possible with untested labs.

I understand that a lot of pet owners do not always know the lengths the dogs will go to to mate, but al lest you understand now. Unless you have to have an emergency spay to abort the puppies, then it would be in her and you best interest to have her spayed 3 months after the end of her season ie, about 3months+ 24days from the first day of bleeding.

Good luck please let us know how you get on xx :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice