Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Slimming Tips

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by DaisyNLaura, Aug 17, 2009.

1. DaisyNLaura

DaisyNLaura PetForums Newbie

****WARNING FIRST THREAD ON SITE**** :D
    hi i have a 11 year old chestnut cob ive had her for a year however she is getting on the fatter side and i could really use some tips on slimming i ride for at least an hour a day but any tips would be really useful!

Thanks

Laura
    :D

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi my friends horse got a little fat they give her a good workout every 2 days, and lunge her 2 days a week.

x

3. HookedonHorses

HookedonHorses PetForums Newbie

what diet is she on?

4. emmalouise1508

emmalouise1508 PetForums Member

Use a grazing muzzle throughout the day. If you can keep her in during the day and out at night, the grass has less nutrients in it at night.

Adding cinnamon to the feed is meant to help but also needs backing up with lots of exercise, hillwork etc.

How much hay/haylege does she have? Try soaking it for an hour before feeding, it'll have less nutrients in it.

5. reddyrufus

reddyrufus PetForums Member

Ditto the above, better off out at night than in the day, if out 24/7 then use a grazing muzzle for some of the time.

What are you feeding her and what turnout is she on etc? Is she in regular work?
    My mare is on a diet at the minute, I came back from my holiday and she had doubled in size!

6. kelseye

kelseye Banned

hi i would say thatyou could ...
    Increase the horse's workload gradually in both time and intensity as her fitness improves
    Choose compound feeds which are high in fibre and low in fat and measure them by weight, not volume.
    and keep from grazzing as much..:)

7. DaisyNLaura

hi at the moment shes on happy hoof and i give her a hand ful of it in the morning and evening in the morning when she comes in i give her a half an half mix of straw and hay but now i have been using your tips and she is getting better i took a bad fall however yesterday and im out of action for a week not sure what to do exactly as i have mucked up my back and dont want to do anymore damage to it.

Thanks for all the help!

Laura

8. emmalouise1508

emmalouise1508 PetForums Member

Sorry to hear about your fall. Do you have a friend that could ride your horse? If not you could always lunge in an arena or take her on a walk in-hand, just to keep her ticking over!

9. exchangeandmart

exchangeandmart PetForums Junior

Sorry to hear about your fall as well, I hope you (and your back) are ok! I would try free schooling her to keep her in active work while you are out of action, as she can still have a really good workout while you are under no pressure whatsoever. Stand in the middle of the area and use voice commands (backed up with a lunging whip if necessary) to get her to do 5 mins of walk, 10 mins of trot, and 5 mins of canter on each rein. This will be a good 40 min workout which will help her fitness and weight loss. When you are back in the saddle, I would also recommend lots of hill work when you are out hacking, it is great for getting horses fit

10. DaisyNLaura

Hiya Im back in action now
    and as for daisy shes lost alot of weight and is looking alot better went out riding yesterday and she feels alot better now thanks for all of your help
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice