Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Slightly odd question, particularly for people with bigger dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 10, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

But anyone who wants to can answer!

You know on dogs they have that flap of skin under the chin on the front of the neck? I always worry if I put a collar on tight it will choke Rupert so never put his on very tight but see other people do put them on tight. He never has choked when its been tighter sort of thing but I was wondering if you have to consider it rubbing or being tight on that area?

Bit odd I know but I've wondered this for months :rolleyes: :eek:

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Blue is a crossbred Mastiff (mainly Neo, with a bit of Bullmastiff and Dane too, we think!) so has a double chin, as we like to call it! Poor boy :eek: I do put his headcollar on him resonably tight, obviously not uncomfortably tight, but they do need to be resonably snug fitting so the dogs can't back out of them. As long as you don't put it on too tight, it'll be fine.

ETA: was meant to say collar, not headcollar :rolleyes:

#2 SixStar, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Its the way you can like pull that bit of skin away from the dog its obviously quite loose etc but I just worry it must feel massively uncomfortable or something :eek:

His headcollar goes on tight but normal collar being lower down his neck seems to rest on the bit of skin more, to be fair he only wears it for ID so it doesn't need to be tight I guess but I don't like it loose enough for him to get caught on anything...

Ta :)

4. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thats why I use semi slips, That way when your not walking them they remain pretty loose. Also when you are walking them the less they pull the nicer is it for them. You could try a harness if your worried?

5. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Mine have this too! I don't worry about it much because Scooter has a half-chain collar that's loose most of the time and Breeze is walked in a harness. When Scooter's had flat collars in the past we've had them off or looser in the house (good handle for him!) then tightened them a hole for walks.

Lately they've not been wearing collars in the house at all, either way I've not noticed any rubbing because of their thick coats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice