UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Slightly disgusting- job for the emergency vet?

832 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Grace_Lily 
#1 ·
I came home today to a flat smeared in wee and poo :( Simba had sprayed outside the tray, which he has been doing increasingly frequently, and he's trailed poo all through the flat. It was all on my suitcase :( Cleaned it up as best I could and inspected his rear- there was still a bit of poo stick to his bottom, so I tried to get it off with a baby wipe and discovered that it was attached by a hair, the other end of which is still stuck up his bottom. I yanked on it to try to get it out and it broke - I know I shouldn't have done this but I panicked cos I didn't want more poo over everything. Should I call the emergency vet?

#2 ·
If you are worried then give them a call - it won't hurt! They might see see if the rest passes in the next trip to the toilet and see how he gets on but it's up to you. He probably just got frightened and darted when he realised he was in abit of a mess. we hope he's ok though.

#4 ·
Just phoned them, the woman I spoke to had the same problem with hers! She was fairly laidback about the hair, thinks it won't have done any damage as it would have broken before that happened (it was only a single hair) as for the spraying, I need to invest in some Feliway and see if it helps. She thought it was probably stress (usually happens when I'm late home) but could also be early signs of arthritis. He's just had a big wee and didn't spray, but if it keeps up, I'll take a urine sample to the vet. He was cross with me for a while (understandably) but I've apologized and he's sitting on my lap now. Oh Sim.

#6 ·
Thank you! I was so worried... Couldn't believe how quickly he forgave me considering what a horrible indignified thing I did to him. He went from growling at me to cuddled up in my lap with a paw on my arm in 20 minutes. Not sure I'd have been so forgiving!

Mind you, he doesn't know I've posted about it on the Internet yet...

#9 ·
He might have been a little bit constipated, Bob gets confused sometimes and pees when he can't poo. Don't read further if you are eating:)

He also leaves little bits of poo that drop off after he gets out of his tray, sometimes has a bit of grass in there that doesn't pass out and it kind of joins things together so that some of it comes out and some stays hanging and I find I am following him around with a piece of kitchen roll lunging at his bum and hoping it will come off before he sits on it
Something similar may have happened to Simba with the hair, and maybe even the spraying, he might be trying to tell you.

#10 ·
Ohhhh, the things we do for our cats! Perhaps I need to get him some prunes! His poos do tend to be on the hard side. The spraying's been going on for ages, I wonder if it's a turf war with Tiny. It is always by a litter tray though...

He might have been a little bit constipated, Bob gets confused sometimes and pees when he can't poo. Don't read further if you are eating:)

He also leaves little bits of poo that drop off after he gets out of his tray, sometimes has a bit of grass in there that doesn't pass out and it kind of joins things together so that some of it comes out and some stays hanging and I find I am following him around with a piece of kitchen roll lunging at his bum and hoping it will come off before he sits on it
Something similar may have happened to Simba with the hair, and maybe even the spraying, he might be trying to tell you.

#11 ·
If he is on dry food it might be making him a bit constipated, Bob has problems and he is on wet only (but he is on diuretics which doesn't help). He has taken to laying in the tray when he can't poo, so I know to do something about it.He does get in and pee, then out and starts talking to me, then back in again.I have found that some liver paste mixed with water helps him, once or twice a week (Tubi Cat from Zooplus), he likes it too :)

Maisie pees just outside her tray if she wants to tell me something, she is in the tray but positions herself over the edge. Then I have to figure out what is wrong.

#14 ·
The hair thing has happened with my pooch quite a lot. I wouldn't worry about it. I've never thought it could hurt her to be quite honest.

#15 ·
This thread has brought a wry smile to my face - the things we discuss for our pets!

I really wouldn't worry OP, I've had a similar thing happen with my dogs and they do get very distressed when there's something stopping them from toileting completely, I can easily imagine mess getting smeared around the place in their panic to sort themselves out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.