Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleepy puppy gets bossy and boisterous

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kahvi, Jan 4, 2021.

1. kahvi

kahvi PetForums Junior

My 4 month old pup gets really boisterous when she hasn't slept in a while. Often she has lots of naps but if she's been up for hours she'll get a bit boisterous.

She bites a lot and when we go outside she'll bark as she runs into the garden and she gets very vocal indoors too. Sometimes she'll have a funny five minutes and charge around the room with a toy or snarl and try to bite our ankles.

When this happens I usually just take her out for a pee and then pop her in her pen and pay no mind her protesting. Often she'll just take herself to bed at this point but other times she just stays up and barks at anyone who moves or any sound outside.

Should I just ignore this behaviour or should I be doing more to encourage her to settle down when she gets like this?

#1 kahvi, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Hiya, you are totally right that she's overtired and needs a nap. If she won't settle by herself then give her something calming to do, like a lickimat, stuffed Kong, or other chew that will help her calm down and chill out. You could also just sit next to her and read and talk calmly to her so that she doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything.

3. kahvi

kahvi PetForums Junior

Thanks! I'll make sure to have some lickimats ready for when this happens and I can't be with her :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice