Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleepy and down after being spayed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ajc411, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Ajc411

Ajc411 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone could give me some advice please.

I got my 5 month year old BSH girl spayed on Wednesday. She’s been eating normally ever since and sometimes tries to jump/play a little bit but definitely sleeping a lot more and a lot more clingy the last few days.

I took her for a checkup yesterday and she was fine except for slight discolouring on the wound and slightly high temp. I took her temp today though and it was 37.4 so the vet advised it could just have been due to stress from the trip to the vets. Her wound seems to have improved since yesterday but she’s definitely not her normal playful self and sleeping more but is this normal considering she’s had a big operation?

I’m not sure if she’s just unhappy due to having to wear a cone as she seems to dislike it.

thank you!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is not normal for a kitten to be so sleepy 4 days after a general anaesthetic for a spay operation. My kittens have all been back to their normal selves the next day.

As she is not keen to play or run around or jump it sounds as though she is probably in pain. Has the vet given you some pain relief to give your kitten at home? If not I would phone the vet tomorrow and discuss it with him/her. If the vet is not willing to prescribe pain relief without seeing the kitten then insist on her being seen tomorrow (Monday). Please do not risk leaving her in pain. Cats are very good at hiding pain.

A normal body temperature for a cat is between 38 to 39 degrees C, 37.4 sounds a bit on the low side. But perhaps that is normal for her. Does she have a nice warm bed away from draughts, off the floor?

Making her wear a cone if she has post-operative pain is going to make her feel even worse. None of my cats (male or female) has ever worn a cone after being neutered. if it were me I would take the cone off and see if she bothers with her wound. She may sniff the wound and give it one or two licks, but if she is not trying to pull out the stitches then it is OK.

3. Ajc411

Ajc411 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, sorry I mean 38.4!. She also seems to now have woken up and is trying to play and jump around so could just be a false alarm... she’s currently trying to climb everything she can as we speak if she’s extra sleepy tomorrow I’ll give a vet a call as she might be in pain like you suggest! The vet gave pain meds for 4 days so I don’t have any more. The vet said it looked like she had tried to lick her wound so that’s why I’m hesitant to take off the cone

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

See how she goes. If she is bright and playful with the horrid cone on, then maybe leave it on for another couple of days. The wound should have scabbed over by then and it would be OK to take it off.

Yes, 38.4 is within normal range for a cat. :)

5. Ajc411

Ajc411 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help ☺️

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You are welcome :) I hope she will be fine. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice