UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my pup for almost 2 weeks now and think I have aged 10 years due to lack of sleep. He's up everynight around 3 / 4 wanting to play - usually going back to sleep around 7. I'm up for work just before 6 as it is so the lack of sleep is now catching up. How long do they usually take to settle into a routine for nights? He's not crated and I don't want to do this with him although I know it's recommended. I've got him in a wee routine for his meals and pretty much toilet trained, to the pads for now as he can't get out yet until he has his second jag (Friday). His bed is in our bedroom as he still at the state of following us everywhere. Help - very tired person here :Yawn:

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
What do you do when he wants to get up at 3/4 to play? If you give him any attention this will become his new routine and won't stop. When Kes was a lot younger if she woke up at night and woke us up I would carry her to the garden, place her down, fold my arms and give it 2 minutes to see if he peed. After 2 minutes I'd carry her back upstairs saying nothing at all and put her back in her bed and went back to sleep. Your pup needs to know that waking up at silly o clock doesn't mean they can play, ever.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you do when he wants to get up at 3/4 to play? If you give him any attention this will become his new routine and won't stop. When Kes was a lot younger if she woke up at night and woke us up I would carry her to the garden, place her down, fold my arms and give it 2 minutes to see if he peed. After 2 minutes I'd carry her back upstairs saying nothing at all and put her back in her bed and went back to sleep. Your pup needs to know that waking up at silly o clock doesn't mean they can play, ever.
Yeah i'm trying that, he just barks and barks and barks some more. I think ear plugs may be the solution :)

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
Sounds as if your pup is setting the house rules and not you....!!

Personally I crate mine in the kitchen. They might whinge a bit for the first couple of nights but that's it.

You can't survive without sleep.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds as if your pup is setting the house rules and not you....!!

Personally I crate mine in the kitchen. They might whinge a bit for the first couple of nights but that's it.

You can't survive without sleep.
And that's what I don't want!!! First time i've had a little pup. I'm trying to do everything right by him and get him into his routine asap, and not give in to him (especially in the middle of the night) - he just continuously barks until he gets acknowledged. I'm getting on top of everything else with him this is just a little bit more trying.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Would you consider a crate? I haven't used one before for a puppy but because I had one that we were using for Mia laying around I have used it for Mylo from the beginning. We have had him just over 2 weeks too and he has slept for 6 hours plus every night, and for the last week he is only waking with the alarm. He has never barked in there, just a couple of gentle whimpers on occasion. He hasn't yet wee'd in there either and just waits for me to pick him up and take him out when he wakes. Crate means sleep whatever time of the day he is put in there and he cottoned on from day 1 despite the breeder not using one with him. I really do think that the cave like effect with the blanket over it makes him feel safe and secure.
Mia didn't ever take to hers in that way so it isn't that easy with all dogs. She was a rescue and 16 months old when we got her though. She uses a crate as a bed every day, but when she wants to and we don't ever close the door on her so it doesn't have the other benefits of keeping her, and the furniture, safe.
I really do think it is worth considering anyway.

Edited to say - He is a little b*****d the rest of the time when he is out of his crate so he is by no means a little angel - but I can guarantee sleep at least

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you consider a crate? I haven't used one before for a puppy but because I had one that we were using for Mia laying around I have used it for Mylo from the beginning. We have had him just over 2 weeks too and he has slept for 6 hours plus every night, and for the last week he is only waking with the alarm. He has never barked in there, just a couple of gentle whimpers on occasion. He hasn't yet wee'd in there either and just waits for me to pick him up and take him out when he wakes. Crate means sleep whatever time of the day he is put in there and he cottoned on from day 1 despite the breeder not using one with him. I really do think that the cave like effect with the blanket over it makes him feel safe and secure.
Mia didn't ever take to hers in that way so it isn't that easy with all dogs. She was a rescue and 16 months old when we got her though. She uses a crate as a bed every day, but when she wants to and we don't ever close the door on her so it doesn't have the other benefits of keeping her, and the furniture, safe.
I really do think it is worth considering anyway.

Edited to say - He is a little b*****d the rest of the time when he is out of his crate so he is by no means a little angel - but I can guarantee sleep at least
I don't know tbh. For the next few nights when he wakes us I'll just get up and take him to his mat for a pee and put him back to bed and see how that goes. If there's no improvement I'll have a wee look into that. I think aswell when he can get out walking every day and his walk before bedtime that may help, but that's another week away.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I can't comment, mine were only up at like 6/7am. I went to bed late with them, made sure I played and toileted them before bed and then waited for them to wake me up.

Then again, smaller dog, smaller bladder. I have bigger dogs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you have play time before bed? ive found with out 18 week old pup that is we have play time about an hour before bedtime it tires her out and she sleeps better (just stopped waking up at 3am!) she is now starting to go from 9pm till 6.30/7am so is doing really well :)

If your pup is barking at night let them go to the toilet but dont turn lights on if you can help it as i also found this as a were getting up now trigger for our pup, i leave lights off, no talking except the toilet command and then straight back to bed, she is crated but we have to wait for a few mins to let her settle again before going back to bed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is there any specific reason you don't want to use a crate?

We use crate with Ruby and she's my first pup so I don't really have any alternative advice but she's slept from 10PM till 7am since about a week after we got her. She doesn't cry when I put her in on a night although she did the first few nights but she's downstairs anyway. She doesn't use puppy pads, she goes straight outside and doesn't have accidents unless I forget to put her out.

I can't imagine not using a crate, I know some people don't and never have but I just imagine it would make everything more difficult.

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
And that's what I don't want!!! First time i've had a little pup. I'm trying to do everything right by him and get him into his routine asap, and not give in to him (especially in the middle of the night) - he just continuously barks until he gets acknowledged. I'm getting on top of everything else with him this is just a little bit more trying.
Get a crate. I know you're trying to do everything right but you'll be no good to the puppy, yourself or anyone else if you don't get some sleep.

You may well have another couple of nights with the puppy protesting (especially as he now thinks it's playtime in the middle of the night) but providing you are consistent he should settle pretty quickly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have play time before bed? ive found with out 18 week old pup that is we have play time about an hour before bedtime it tires her out and she sleeps better (just stopped waking up at 3am!) she is now starting to go from 9pm till 6.30/7am so is doing really well :)

If your pup is barking at night let them go to the toilet but dont turn lights on if you can help it as i also found this as a were getting up now trigger for our pup, i leave lights off, no talking except the toilet command and then straight back to bed, she is crated but we have to wait for a few mins to let her settle again before going back to bed.
Yeah I make sure I spend a good bit of time with him before bedtime which is around 10 for me, sometimes before, so he's napping from then. He's just full of energy. He seems to like to have a little snooze around 8ish which will not be helping either.

I'm not totally opposed to the crate, well not at all tbh, I just thought I would try things without it first and was also advised by the breeder to try without (the reasons why I can't remember along with everything else she was telling us), if there's no improvement soon then I'll look into getting one for him.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You must be shattered!!

Our pup was exactly the same, i was like a maniac as not the best with no sleep!

I found that he was having a wee nap around 6pm, so I got tough.. first thing I did was went to neighbours and asked if they ever heard him bark which they never so I knew that if he barked in the night after i had let him out to pee it would not wake them! Then we made sure if he tried to nap late n the day we didnt let him, we made sure he was on the go and playing with his toys and running about the garden. After a few days it worked and he was sleeping from around 9 till 6am!! It was bliss getting so much sleep again, one thing I did find was that once he had all his jags and we could walk him it also made a big difference. Hang in there and be strong, toilet time if they wake and then ignore them as hard as it may sound, I would also think about a cage somewhere other than your bedroom as any sound you might make will waken them!!

Good luck xxx

·
Registered
407 Posts
We also put a stop to napping near bedtime and that helped us :D

It is really hard and i feel for you as ive just gone through a week with no sleep as Tails was on bedrest so locked in a crate all day except for toilet breaks which were on lead, it meant that Tails didnt wear off any energy so didnt sleep at night at all :eek: Im glad she is back to normal (ish) and is sleeping again

You will get there :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You must be shattered!!

Our pup was exactly the same, i was like a maniac as not the best with no sleep!

I found that he was having a wee nap around 6pm, so I got tough.. first thing I did was went to neighbours and asked if they ever heard him bark which they never so I knew that if he barked in the night after i had let him out to pee it would not wake them! Then we made sure if he tried to nap late n the day we didnt let him, we made sure he was on the go and playing with his toys and running about the garden. After a few days it worked and he was sleeping from around 9 till 6am!! It was bliss getting so much sleep again, one thing I did find was that once he had all his jags and we could walk him it also made a big difference. Hang in there and be strong, toilet time if they wake and then ignore them as hard as it may sound, I would also think about a cage somewhere other than your bedroom as any sound you might make will waken them!!

Good luck xxx
I am, luckily my OH has been really good and sees to him through the night when he starts barking, but he still wakes me with the barking and also, i'm concerned about the neighbours hearing it too as he's a persistent little thing. If he would sleep until after 5 that would be fine, as I give him his breakfast around 6 anyway before I get sorted for work.

Yeah any noise he's up like a shot he's so nosy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We also put a stop to napping near bedtime and that helped us :D

It is really hard and i feel for you as ive just gone through a week with no sleep as Tails was on bedrest so locked in a crate all day except for toilet breaks which were on lead, it meant that Tails didnt wear off any energy so didnt sleep at night at all :eek: Im glad she is back to normal (ish) and is sleeping again

You will get there :D
Ah thanks :) It's becoming normal to me now.

I try to play with him and keep him active around those times to stop him from napping, although doesn't always work. I'll be glad when he can get out for a nice long walk before bedtime and fingers crossed, that might tire him out a little more.

Glad your dog is better :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am, luckily my OH has been really good and sees to him through the night when he starts barking, but he still wakes me with the barking and also, i'm concerned about the neighbours hearing it too as he's a persistent little thing. If he would sleep until after 5 that would be fine, as I give him his breakfast around 6 anyway before I get sorted for work.

Yeah any noise he's up like a shot he's so nosy.
Our pup is the same gets up as soon as the kids start moving, when i know she is well (had some problems with her) in the morning i will leave her to bark until im ready, OH and the kids are getting up at around 6am OH lets her out to go toilet then straight back to bed, she then starts barking again about 5 mins before my alarm.

I also was getting up and feeding her but ive had to move her breakfast back until ive got the kids ready for school as she was waking up and expecting to get fed so now she knows she has to wait until everyone else is ready before she gets fed :D She was also waking up at school times at the weekend so moving her breakfast back a bit means a little bit of a lie in :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ah thanks :) It's becoming normal to me now.

I try to play with him and keep him active around those times to stop him from napping, although doesn't always work. I'll be glad when he can get out for a nice long walk before bedtime and fingers crossed, that might tire him out a little more.

Glad your dog is better :)
Its hard isnt it.

I wish my pup was better just found out she has a sensitive tummy and is on a prescription diet for a week :rolleyes: hopefully after that we can find out what it is that is upsetting her tummy. Its been more stress than i could have ever imagined! Ive slept on the sofa or not slept at all more times with the puppy we have had for 8 weeks than i have for the kids and ive had them for 6 years! :eek:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Indie had a crate, downstairs. First few nights I slept downstairs too, each time she made a noise I said 'quiet' and nothing else. If she needed a wee I just let her out but still said nothing then put her back in the crate.
After a few nights I went back to my bedroom, I used a baby monitor to say quiet if she barked. Indie quickly learnt to sleep all night.
I think the crate was a great help, we stopped shutting the door after about four weeks and have since stopped using it altogether, she is used to being shut in the kitchen on her own now.
Good luck, having broken sleep is totally draining!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.