Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Sleepless in East Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Luciferette, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Luciferette

Luciferette PetForums Member

Morning all,
    It's gone 2am and I'm still awake...as is Mac. He's 4.5 months now and has always slept really well in his crate by my bed until a week or so ago. He's started crying, whining, scratching at the crate door, really getting himself worked up - such a change from his usual behaviour and I'm at a loss to explain it.
    He's moved up to the next size crate, has plenty of room, got his snuggle pup etc, but just won't settle. I've actually got him out now (got to be up in 4 hours!!) and he's starting to doze off on my bed. It's the only way to get him to sleep! I try putting him back to bed once he's snoozing but then he wakes and starts crying again :(
    He's teething at the minute - could this be the problem? He gets plenty of stimulation both mental and physical, and is quite happy to take himself off for a nap alone at other times. I'm knackered, he's knackered, partner is sleeping in the spare room and is knackered! Any ideas?

2. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Could he be feeling cold? The temperature has dropped quite a bit recently. I have my two on the bed with me anyway but I have my little pup in a jumper overnight as the heating's on the blink - he is shivery without it.
    Does he sleep quietly once he's up with you, as in that case I'd be tempted to allow it.

3. Luciferette

Thanks for the reply, @picaresque - I wondered if he was cold so the other night I put a hot water bottle under his vet bed...still cried.
    And yes, he's quite content once he's on the bed. I did try just having his bed rather than the crate but he just kept crying then leaping off onto my bed! He gets right up close and soon falls asleep! At 4am this morning I gave in lol; he was snoring in seconds. Aaaarrrgh.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I take the line of least resistance tbh so if he settles snuggled up with you and you all get some sleep I'd stick with that for the time being.

Once he has got over his teething (or whatever else is disturbing him) you can try to gradually wean him off you, if necessary.

lullabydream and Luciferette like this.
  5. Luciferette

That's kind of my way of thinking. I was so pleased that he slept so well in his crate - normally take him out for a wee about 3am then he went straight back to sleep. I was adamant he wouldn't sleep on our bed but yes, for the minute it might be the only way to get some sleep!
    Ps. The little beggar will no doubt now sleep all day in our office while I'm out on the shop floor trying to stay awake!! :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I can only echo what @picaresque and @Lurcherlad say..

It might be a combination of changing his crate and the cold.

I never used to have dogs in my bedroom, and now I have 3, one crated one in her bed and one on the bed with me.

Now the one on her bed, at this time of the year will come on our bed for warmth when the heating goes off.

She did stay in her bed a few weeks ago when we got a new bed...and I think it was a bit different for her.. which might be why your Mac is feeling a bit strange with the new crate. The extra space, which he needs might not make him feel as secure..

Spend time in the evening playing crate games, Google them to acclimatise Mac to his crate again and hopefully in the near future he will love his crate again...just take baby steps.

Lurcherlad and Luciferette like this.
  7. Luciferette

Last night I was packed off to the spare bed for a good nights sleep with earplugs in while OH took charge...Mac went on his crate fine (hot water bottle and little Kong) but started whimpering half an hour later. So Rob got him straight out on the bed, he slept until I woke up and took him for a wee at 3am. But then I put him back in his crate, no fuss, and he slept til 7!
    I think it's a combination of teething, a bit of clinginess, and tbh a handful of typical border terrier: this is what I want and I'm going to complain until I get it :) Oh the joys of puppyhood *grits teeth and yawns*

lullabydream likes this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am sure you will get there! Most terriers have some sort of aloofness with them which is why people don't see them as having biddability.....am sure Mac is probably just unsettled due to an unknown reason such as a mix of teething, change of crate and maybe something has spooked him.

Hopefully he will get there though!

Luciferette and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice