Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleeping

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by TabbyLex, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TabbyLex

TabbyLex PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

We've had our 20 week old for a few months now and since we've had her she's always slept on one of the perches on her cat tree at night. The bottom perch is her favourite, she'll nap there during the day and sleep on it at night.

A few nights ago she rolled over during the night and managed to fall off. I picked her up and put her back and she fell asleep straight away. It then happened again the next night so I put her on my bed so she could sleep with me. 5 minutes later she was up and back on her perch again and fell asleep.

She won't sleep in her 2 beds, she has a hooded bed and a normal one and she won't go near either of them. She won't sleep on my bed either, the only place she will sleep is on the cat tree. I'm just worried because she's fallen off a few times now, luckily it's the bottom one and not from a height at all but I don't want it happening again.

Has anyone experienced this before? What I could do to encourage her to sleep on my bed or even in her beds?

#1 TabbyLex, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. IzzyTwig

IzzyTwig PetForums Senior

I encouraged Zu to sleep on my bed with treats and constant stroking whilst she was on the bed, but it took a while.
    I think it largely depends on the cat, they sleep where they want to sleep and it's not easy to persuade them to sleep elsewhere.
    I guess you could be mean and put something on the cat tree to stop her from sleeping there if you're worried about her injuring herself if she falls off again. That way she'll have to choose somewhere else to sleep. Doesn't mean she'll choose somewhere you want her to sleep though.

Good luck with whatever you try :)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As you have discovered cats will sleep where they want to.The only suggestion I have is that you either shut her out of the room with the cat tree or you put an old duvet or similar under where she sleeps so that if falls off at least she has a soft landing.How high up is the part of the tree that she sleeps on.The reason I ask is that it is not only the height she falls from but also how she lands that could cause injury.

4. TabbyLex

It's the very bottom one, about 3-4 inches from the floor, which is carpeted - but still, I'm not comfortable her sleeping on it anymore.

I'll give the treats a go and see where I get with that, she does seem to want to play on my bed and stay while I stroke her but when she's tired, she's off to her own favourite place! :huh:

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thats no height ,I thought it would be much further from the ground.I'm sure she will be fine :D

6. TabbyLex

It's only a small tree as it's in the bedroom but I may have to move it out of there so she doesn't sleep on it - my heart won't be able to cope it if happens again! I thought the first time she fell, she'd not want to go back on it :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice