Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleeping Through the Night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emu+Rebeeks, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Emu+Rebeeks

Emu+Rebeeks PetForums Newbie

ern2.jpg

Maybe I should start with a bit of back ground... We have an almost 3 year old Westy. His name's Ernie and we love him dearly. We also have a cat called Sox.
    Ernie's domain is the down stairs of the house. Sox has the upstairs.
    Ernie and Sox don't socialize, never have in the 3 years they've lived together.

At night, Ernie is put to bed in the front room. Curtains closed. Door closed. Lights off. It has always been the way and has always worked.
    Ernie has his last food at 6:00/6:30 daily and is put to bed at 10:00. Before bed, he has a 15 minute trip out in the garden to go to the toilet.

The problem, as of late Ern has started waking up at 3:00, 4:00, 5:00.
    It's not always been a problem, he always used to sleep through the night. In fact of a morning sometimes we found that we sometimes woke him up with our normal routine.

He's been doing this now for the whole of April.
    It may not seem like a big problem, you may think "put him back to bed, all will be fine" the problem is, he doesn't go back to bed. He howls the minute we try to. Its almost as if he is afraid of the dark.
    There doesn't seem to be a reason. On the odd occasion he does need to go to the toilet. Other than that, its almost like he feels the need to go on patrol around the house.

He did the same last year, eventually it stopped after a week, but it has gone on longer this time. The additional problem is because we live in quite a close community, we don't want to let him continue howling and barking, as it wakes, not only everybody in the house, but all of the neighbors. This adds the additional question of are we giving him a new habit by going to stop him howling and comforting him so he doesn't continue.

I just wondered if anybody else has had a similar problem, and if they found any resolutions.
    Me and my partner are struggling for a reason behind this behavior and would greatly appreciate any kind of help or advice that anybody may have!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Difficult to know why he is doing this.

Could be:

Wildlife activity outside
    A UTI
    Tummy bug/ibs
    Noise in the house, such as a fridge or skybox humming
    Thirsty/hungry access to water/food?
    Not happy shut in now
    Try putting a night light on

Maybe put a Stairgate on bottom of stairs and try him with the door open so he can access all of downstairs

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Bitch on heat near by?

Of course you may never know where she is, but sounds typical behaviour if my old dog Jovi was anything to go by.

4. Emu+Rebeeks

Unfortunately, due to sox the cats skittish nature, Ernie also finds it fun to chase her... we can't let him have the run of the house of a night time, just in case she ventures downstairs.

Thanks for the suggestions as to what it could be though. Some of there hadn't even crossed our mind.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Emu+Rebeeks

We checked with our neighbour, who has 2 females. 1 of them is only just about to go on to heat... not sure that's the route cause only because it's been going on all month!

Thank you for the suggestion though. If you think of any other reasons it could be. Let me know! X

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice