Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleeping on the sofa... me not the puppy!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by maizie0_0, May 16, 2010.

1. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

We get Elsie on the 4th June and she will be 8 weeks.

I was planning on sleeping on the sofa for a few days (Elsie will be in her crate in the lounge too). My reason for this would be so that I can work out what her toilet routine will be, I thought about setting my alarm but then what if I miss her toilet routine or shes asleep etc. etc. I then thought about a baby monitor but can't find any cheap ones.

My partner doesn't want her in the bedroom and he sleeps VERY loudly so I won't hear her whine!! Actually I probably would get a better nights sleep on the sofa!!!

My question is..... would she get used to me being on the sofa for a couple of days, would this set her back when I go to sleep upstairs?

2. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Hiya,

We had this with Wilbury when we got him, you really worry, everytime they whine and want to run to them, for the first few nights we did this, but it then seemed he didn't stop whining. I let him out at about 11pm and then 5 am, although he still had accidents in the night, he soon learnt that if we waited we would be down soon. He soon stopped the accidents and was fully house trained :)

Hope this helps :)

3. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

we did too when i had my collie pup, i spent about 3 or 4 night on the sofa till he realised the crate ect was ok and he eventually stop crying.

4. maizie0_0

The trouble is, I plan to crate train her so will take her out a few times during the night. If I sleep on the sofa I can hear her when she needs to go out, if I sleep upstairs I won't hear her. If I set my alarm, I may miss her toilet break or come downstairs at say 3am, she might be fast asleep so back upstairs I will have to go and reset my alarm!

5. EmsBuddy

EmsBuddy PetForums Member

Buddy sleeps in our bedroom in his crate.

He goes in of a night and then cries to go out about 5am, he has know progressed and he never woke us up till 7.45am the other day.

He does not soil his crate, he waits for us to get up.

I did worry like you, but trust me you will hear when she wants to go the loo.

I do feel like we have shot ourselves in the foot, as he now wants to sleep by us and not downstairs as we had planned. But we dont mind that he is upstairs with us x

6. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Not a pup but when we brought my second dog home we all slept downstairs as we could keep them seperated, him in the kitchen behind the baby gate and us on the air mattress with puds.

He wanted to bonk her senseless in the first week, so it was easier to keep them apart but still be where he was close and could see us.

I know of people who have started out with the pups in the bedroom (or dogs that won't settle) and gradually moved them further and further away until they settled downstairs.

Edited to add reminds me of the night we brought our first family rescue pup cassie home when I was about 11.. she was to sleep downstairs we did everything right but boy did she yell, scream, howl, cry that first night.. a quick family conference by 4 frazzled household members determined we would make her a safe area between the wall and the bed upstairs and there she stayed happily for her whole life - call us weak willed but was the only choice at 1am ha ha

#6 EmCHammer, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  7. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have slept on the sofa for the first 3 nights with Blade then i went to bed and just got up when he whinged for the toilet. To be honest the third night i slept on the sofa he kept waking up in anticipation everytime i turned over or coughed!! So night 4 i went to bed and left the radio on in the lounge for him, he woke us every 2 hours and went to the toilet every time and back in his crate, he whinged for about a minute but then all went silent. He went to bed last night at 11.15pm in his crate and woke up at 4.30am and went to the toilet and had his breakfast and went straight back to sleep until 6.30am. ( we have had him for a week now)

With Logan we had him in his crate in our bedroom then gradually moved him into the lounge once he was settling through the night in his crate ok.

I think either way works well really. The only reason we havn't had Blade in the bedroom is because we havn't now got room for his crate.

8. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

First night I had Glen in a box beside me then we decided we may as well start as we mean to go on so he went in his crate in the kitchen, with half bed, half newspaper. He only ever did a couple of pee's and I never had to get up and let him out through the night. He's now 9months and can sleep from 9pm to 9am no bother.

9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Every time we've had a new puppy or dog brought into the house they are put in the kitchen at night with the baby gate closed so they can't get into the main room. We've put lots of newspaper down incase of any piddles... we do not come down to whimpers.

All food is picked up at around 8pm and water is picked up at around 10pm. Last toilet call is around midnight and we are usually up at around 7-7.30am in the morning.

Toilet training is always done during the daytime. If you intend letting your puppy out for wees etc during the night, you could be in for a very long haul... one that could leave you feeling frazzled and frustrated. Start as you mean to go on.

10. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

First two nights I slept downstairs with maggie in the lounge (previous pups we had in our room for a couple of nights), but after she settled in I just went back upstairs like normal. The first night she whimpered a little a few minutes after I left her and so I just said something soothing but didn't go to her. Then she cried about 4am, so I got up and let her out for a wee. She then slept through til I got up later that morning.

My plan was to get up every night to let her out, but as shazalhasa said this leaves you feeling exhausted!! So in the end we did toilet training in the day and I just let her out for the loo last thing at night and first thing in the morining and we just had to clean up in the AM when we got up (which was contained to her puppy pen area on lino anyway) for a few weeks.

#10 katiefranke, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

IMO that is not the best thing to do.

If you think about it you sleep with the puppy for a few days right? pups fine with it, and suddenly, bam you go sleep upstairs. Puppy starts crying.

Not a good idea.

We've never once slept with our dogs when we had them as pups. We've just left them alone in their crate at night, with a blanket which had their mother's and littermates scent on. If they cried we ignored them. yes that sounds a bit harsh, but if we just went to them everytime they cried, it would just teach them 'hmm...i know how to get mum's attention - owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww'

IMO i would just leave Elsie in her crate with something that smells of you - or its mum or littermates. If she cries, ignore her. some people might disagree with me, but this is what we've done our whole lives and we've never had a problem.

Thankfully though, this time round, mika wasn't a problem when we got him. He was so good overnight. think our breeder must've done some training with him re sleeping in his crate so that made things easier for us i guess.

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Totally agree :thumbup:

13. maizie0_0

What about toilet breaks? I don't want her going in her crate.

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

if its so much of a big deal, then ok set your alarm clock to wake up at a time to take her out - not when she wants you to come to her ie when she's whining. Set it at a time like, i don't know, 3 o clock and wake up and take her out.

Just one more thing, which may already sound very obvious. Make sure you take her for a wee before you go to bed.

15. maizie0_0

That was what I was concerned about. What if I set the alarm at 3am, come downstairs, she has already been or she is asleep. Do I wake her?

16. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i'll let someone else answer that for you, as like i said i've never ever come down to my boys or previous dogs i've had ever.

but the 3 o clock time hon was an idea...you can set your alarm to whatever time you want.

17. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

personally, as I said in my previous post, i actually DID sleep downstairs with pup for the first couple of nights so i could hear and then could tell what time she needed to go out - so that then I could roughly guess when to set my alarm.

and yes if you go down and pup is asleep, i would wake pup up and take them out, encourage pup to go to the toilet and then pop her back in the crate and go back to bed. depends on when you take pup out for last wee/poop to when you would need to get up. for instance I think roughly last wee/poop was at about 11:00/11:30 for me and then I got up about 4:00am.

I didnt continue to do this though as I said, as I didnt crate my last pup - she had a baby playpen cornering off a big section of our room with lino under it and her crate joined as her bed but with the door open. so she then sometimes went to the loo in the night if she couldnt hold it, but out on the lino (not in her bed/crate) and i just had to mop it up in the morning. This didnt really last long though anyway.

but as you are crate training, you will normally find that as long as the crate isnt too big, they will hold it a bit longer than they normally would so as to avoid going where they sleep - but it is very difficult to tell as all pups are different and at that age they cannot control the need to go!

#17 katiefranke, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  18. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

I tried the sleeping on sofa didn work, so put his crate in our room, he goes in there fine bout 11.00 to midnight depending when we got to bed , would wake about 4 ish took him out for wee and then back to crate where he went straight back to sleep, it then got later 11.30pm to 5am wake for wee then back to sleep, and today and now few weeks later today he woke 6.45, so he is going later till soon will be my norm wake time of 7.15 but im fine with 6.30 onward if honest, just nice to have a night with no wake ups lol

personally think stick to one thing as changing will cause confusion, I know when I went up stairs after kipping on sofa he cried load, wish id done crate in our bedroom from the start lol

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice