Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleeping habits, 7 month cockapoo

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JodieWeeks, Nov 7, 2018.

1. JodieWeeks

JodieWeeks PetForums Junior

hi all,

I have a 7 month cockapoo, he has been sleeping in a crate since I got him for the night, I normally put him in the crate and give him a chew / treat and then go up to bed. He has a dog bed in his crate however seems to prefer sleeping on the crate floor

He has never really gone into his crate much by himself and I never see him sleeping in there .. only rarely he much prefers sleeping on the floor downstairs behind the sofa.

He has never had an accident in his crate but has never slept in, he has always woken up at 5/5:30 and wants company ...

I have been told to try and remove the crate and use a bed, so I have done this tonight and he has gone straight behind the sofa .. should I let him sleep behind the sofa or should I just let him crack on if he prefers that?

Will this be more likely for him to have a bit more of a lay in? Or is he a dog that wants company..

Will I have problems later on in life if he doesn’t sleep in a crate at night, and will he be an issue if he doesn’t like sleeping in a bed?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I suspect he likes sleeping behind the sofa because it's like a little den for him and if he's happy there then let him sleep there. It will be interesting to see if he sleeps in a bit longer.
    It won't do him any harm to not be sleeping in a crate on a bed, he may decide he fancies a bed when he's a bit older. My dog wasn't bothered about sleeping on a bed when younger much preferring the floor. As she grew up she gradually decided she did want a bed and started sleeping on one I had when she was small so I ordered her a new bed in her size. I had noticed she seemed to like lying against something so got a bed with fairly stiff sides in an oval shape and she thought it was great. She doesn't sleep in it much during the day though, she is usually sprawled out on the floor.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Try giving him a small meal at bedtime - he may be waking early because he’s hungry.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Dogs don't need crates - they are just a useful way of knowing where you pup is and knowing that they are safe etc, so no you won't 'have problems later on in life' if you don't use one.

As for his using a bed - many dogs will stretch out on the floor beside their lovely purpose bought beds. I do encourage the use of a bed in my house however, as with six dogs I don't like to have to step over prone bodies all over the floor. I teach a settle from day one and they are rewarded for doing so on one of the many doggy duvets.Perhaps work on his enjoying his bed during the day by rewarding him for doing so.

As for sleeping in - I find it luck whether a pup is a a sleeper or not - four of mine are and two of mine are early risers :rolleyes: But you could certainly try a later snack as McKenzie has suggested - puppies do wake with hungry tums!

J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice