Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleeping arrangements......

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by stanleysmum, Apr 20, 2011.

1. stanleysmum

stanleysmum PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a 14 month old Lakeland Terrier - Stanley, who is lovely. We did everything right with him to begin with but have then let ourselves down by letting him sleep on the bed....Terrible i know! We are now trying to get him back into the kitchen (where he quite happily spent the first 10 months of his life) but he has us up at least 3 times in the night barking, I assume that this is separation anxiety? We have compounded it by giving in a couple of times and letting him back on the bed, but we recognise that we are just going to have to live through the pain of this readjustment.

I am thinking that perhaps we could get his old puppy crate out again and try putting him in this at night in the kitchen to make him feel secure, does anyone have an opinion as to whether this would be a good thing or not? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? It is causing tension in the household, not to mention what the neighbours must think!

Thanks in advance

:confused:

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't class this as SA - more likely that he's just trying to get you to give in and get back on the bed! I can't imagine that a crate would make any difference.

How long have you been trying to get him to sleep back in the kitchen, and how long has it been since you last gave in and let him back on the bed?

My feeling is if you stay consistent and leave him in the kitchen without any attention when he barks, he'll soon get the message :)

3. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

Same happened with us for a while - sounds a bit daft, but my nan died in November and I felt so awful that I didn't have the heart to make Basil get off the bed...wanted him to be near me for some reason!

But eventually I decided he needed to be in his own bed again ( he had been sleeping on the landing) but as I am so soft I couldn't shut him out. So his bed is now in the corner of our bedrooom - after a few nights of putting him in his bed when he tried to get in with us, he soon got the message!

Now he never tries to get on our bed once he's in his own - just wondered if it's possible for you to have him in his own bed but still in the room with you? A kind of best of both worlds if you like?

:)

4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I think maybe moving him back downstairs in stages might be easier on all of you. Ignoring him is certainly an option, and should be effective - IF you can put up with it for long enough.

Is he crate trained? If so, you could put his own bed, in a crate, in your room at first, so at least he is still with you. Then once he's fine there move it out onto the landing, etc until eventually he ends up back in the kitchen.

May well be easier doing it in little steps than just expecting him to go "cold turkey".

Good luck whatever you try.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh yes, doing it in stages is a much better idea - why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

6. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

If he'll sleep happily in the crate, then you can begin in bedroom, near you, then door, just outside .. etc etc

The crate/dog bed also gives a den, a place to retreat to for peace & quiet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice