Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sleep Deprivation

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MrsD, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MrsD

MrsD PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    We have a 15 week old springer pup, have had him for 6 weeks now. He's driving me nuts!!!
    Initially i supervised him with potty training as i did with our older springer, just taking him outside when he did his business indoors, but Smoke has a problem with submissive urination, and he piddles everywhere. It's not hygenic for the kids and the house stinks so decided to try crate training instead. It's just not working, he whines for hours at a time, and tries to dig himself out. It's waking me and the kids up so we're all exhausted and grumpy. If i do allow him out to roam around he just pees everywhere again. I need some help, if something doesnt give he's going to have to go to a new home or a rehoming center. I dont want to have to get rid of him, but the noise and the stink are becoming unbearable.
    Thanks.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

To settle mine in I crated them next to my bed, waking to take them out for a wee if they woke - just took them straight outside, no talking, no eyecontact - then sraight back in the crate.
    They weren't stressed because they could see me so quickly settled. Once they were going all night with out waking I moved the crate to the end of my bed, once they were happy with that I move the crate out of my room.
    Eventually (prob about 8 weeks) they were sleeping in their crates in the lounge all night with out a whimper and have done so every night since.

I really didn't want them in my room at all - but my dog trainer asked me when I bought my human babies home did I expect them to sleep all night in a room with out me, never changing their nappies or did it take time?

3. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

do you give a all-you-can-have water supply to your dog? i wouldn't give my puppy any water 3-4 hours before my sleeping, but it really depends on your living schedule. I usually sleep at 2am and temperature here is 10-15 at night, so he doesn't have a problem with my arrangement at all.

And i think Fleur's trainer is right. When my dog was very young, she had a big problem of being alone. After i placed the crate on my bed to make sure she saw me, everything solved.

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

join Springer Spaniel Fun Site
    Im on there loads of friendly people with plenty of advice

Ive just got a springer pup myself and the firt 2 - 3 weeks are the hardest then once a routine is established for sleeping youll find yourself with good sleep.

You do think there will be no end though they do settle down - you just have to get them used to their new surroundings and to their routine! :D

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

as far as your problems ....... is smoke the pup?

how are you treating him - are you goiving lots of attention as soon as you see him? This may not be submissve weeing but simple excitement about seeing you.
    You have to look at the whole way you deal with things ..... praise when he pees on paper - ignore him if he does it anywhere else.
    Wtch for signals that hes going to wee and swiftly scoop him up (withough fuss or correction) to be put outside to an already marked area - again lots of fussing when he goes outside
    dont clean the mess up intfront of him - he'll see it as a game
    use a biological soap to clean the mess up as this takes th scent out.

Are you exerciseing him enough - either play in the house/garden/training classes?

Have you got him on a decent food so that he is not full of sugars and energy he cant burn off?
    It will all comeg good - you just have to establish 1 command for no and maintain a regular sleeping pattern, at 15 weeks mine was settle in though that is only because we had already established his sleep.
    wees at 9pm 11:30 and 2 am were regular up until that age and then we moved him to 11:30pm - 6am sleep. The do have to be tired enough to sleep though as with any pup :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice