Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skulk, the Famous Choosing Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by egyptianreggae, Apr 15, 2014.

1. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

My talented photographer friend has asked me to share this photo of Skulk with you all. Here he is in all his glory. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/9745469@N08/13827693133/

Professor Skulkington, Sir Skulkingcat, Mr Skulkinghorn and Kana (which is short for Skulkana, which are small dried fruits that are excellent when you add them to soya yoghurt.) The cat known as Skulk skulked in on his elbows one day and never left. Gradually, as his confidence increased, his inimitable personality and talents became clear.

He has the widest mouth of any cat I've ever seen. When he wants to come in, he opens it to its fullest capacity and miaows loudly, a graceless, harsh sound. While doing this, he simultaneously raises a front paw, in the misguided belief that it makes him appear beguiling and vulnerable. He just looks comical.

Once his confidence has been won, he is shameless in demanding attention. He is the only cat I've ever known who can be passed, sitting on a cushion, from lap to lap. He won't even change position. You can pull him about, cuddle him like a teddy bear and rub your nose against his little short flat nose. He likes biting chins, very gently and affectionately, and once he ran across a room, jumped up and slapped me hard for no reason, while I was blamelessly watching tv and minding my own business. On the whole, however, he is a spectacularly good-humoured, sanguine fellow. When I happen to be the one to put him out at night, I present him to my friend, rather as Victorian children used to be presented to their father for inspection before they went to bed at night. Skulk usually thrusts a front paw towards my friend, which he gently holds and says to him, solemnly, "Pleased to meet you" four times, before Skulk is ceremonially conveyed to the garden for the evening.

It turns out that he is also a skilled Choosing Cat. If we ever have two identical desserts and are unsure which one to eat first, Skulk is summoned and persuaded to sit on a special Choosing Cushion. After a while, he will indicate his favoured option by gently touching it with his nose. For this, he is praised lavishly and is made much of. If ever there is a decision to make, I often find myself asking, "Shall I fetch the Choosing Cat?" He has, of course, never made a bad decision.

Since appearing on Flickr, Skulk's impudent face has been beamed directly to 4,523 people around the world, so apart from being a Choosing Cat, he is now a Famous Cat. He spent half an hour or so last night sitting in the living room window for an autograph signing session, but unfortunately nobody turned up. Skulk was undaunted by this. A cat of his stature is not to be dissuaded by minor setbacks.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the one and only Skulk, Choosing Cat and Famous Cat. He is very Pleased to Meet You all.

2. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

We are both honoured and privileged to make his acquaintance. All hail the Choosing Cat.

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

he's a bit gorgeous too, mind. :001_tt1:

4. egyptianreggae

The Choosing Cat thanks you for your kind words and attempts a kind of portly pirouette to acknowledge your attention.

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Beautiful Boy. Love that Nose so pink and clean;)

6. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

aww Skulk you have amazing eyes , all the better for choosing with :D i might need your expert advice on two cat trees soon , i just cant seem to choose :rolleyes:

7. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Beautiful boy :001_wub: :001_wub:

It's an honour to meet you Skulk :)

8. egyptianreggae

The mighty Choosing Cat would be honoured to employ his excellent abilities to such a noble cause.

9. egyptianreggae

By this time, Skulk will be reposing under a carefully Chosen bush in the garden, but he will be very happy to hear your kind words tomorrow.

10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It is indeed an honour and a privilege to meet the wonderful and famous Skulk :yesnod:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice