Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skittish Persian.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by u-look-like-a-hamster, Mar 6, 2014.

1. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

Hello, my name is hammie.

I am the proud owner of two cats, Mr Boo the black, Turkish Angora and Penny-Moon the white, Persian.

Penny-Moon came to me from a horrible home. She was covered in matts, emaciated and general poor health. I cut all the matts out, then had to clip her as she was covered in fleas, and had sores on her skin. She was semi-feral.
    However, even nearly two years on she will only really let me stroke/groom her head without fuss. Any more than that and it becomes a battle, which results in her biting, scratching, hissing, growling, yowling. The works. It's not a pleasant expire nice for either of us. I am very patient with her, it took her 6 months to even sit on my knee. I've tried a lot of things but none seem to work. Just wondering really what you guys recommend I could try. Any tips would be well received. As this daily battle isn't fair on her, especially seeing as she has a slight heart murmur, I hate stressing her.

Many thanks

Hammie.

Xx

2. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

A picture of Penny.

Attached Files:

3. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

For a cat so traumatised, I'd recommend having her professionally clipped to make sure she's totally mat free. Then buy a really soft baby hairbrush and get her used to the feel of a brush on the body as being nice. Reward her with treats all the way through, every time she lets you brush. Then gradually you can up the brushing, changing the baby brush for a soft slicker etc.

4. Gizmo85

Gizmo85 PetForums Member

Poor baby :( does she sit on your lap and let you pet her? If so, I would wait until she is very relaxed then do as Carly says with the baby brush whilst talking very gently and reassuringly. Being so matted before, she will associate being touched/groomed with pain so you need to teach her that it can be enjoyable. You could have her lion cut then get her used to the feel of the brush and the grooming g routine while there's no fur to pull on the brush.

5. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Penny-Moon, what a pretty name. :)

Other than that cant add any helpful advise, sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice