Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skittish cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ellie959, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Ellie959

Ellie959 PetForums Newbie

hi, I’m not sure this is the correct place to post this but. I’m getting my windows and doors replaced in my house and I’m worried my skittish cat won’t see my house as his ‘safe place’ and run away? Has any experienced this or have any advice on how to smooth the transition!

Thanks

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The most important thing is to make sure he is safe while all this is going on. How many days is this going to take? Is there any room in the house that won't be having any work done? That is the room I would set up for him to be in during the work. And make sure the work people know that door is NOT to be opened.

In fact I would go so far as to install an eye hook type lock on the outside of the door just for the time, to ensure they remember not to open that door.

Soozi, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with lorilu.

But if every room in your house will be having new windows and doors fitted, then I would put your cat into a cattery for the duration of the work (probably a couple of days), He will be much safer there.

lorilu, Soozi and Betty6691 like this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Personally I would remove her from the disruption and upheaval these sort of works will cause l would put her in a good cattery for as long as the work takes at least you know it will be quiet and she will be safe, she probably won’t like it but it will be far less stressful imo.

Gallifreyangirl and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice