Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skinny Seb

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sarahecp, Aug 23, 2013.

1. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Firstly, apologies for the long post. - I'm after some help/advice on how I can build up and get some weight on my Seb.

He's a 2 year old Moggy, he's not a big cat and has never been a big eater or food orientated. He's also a bit of a fussy so and so when it comes to food.

I weighed him yesterday morning, the first time in a few months, he's gone from 4.4kg to 4kg.

I think some of the weight loss is due to the hot spell we had as he was hardly eating. He wasn't well on Tuesday night, vomited a couple of times and wasn't himself, he looked and acted not well and his third eyelids were showing so we went to vets, vet said he could have a bug or be something he'd eaten, he was given an anti sickness jab, anti inflammatory and antibiotic jab, I was told to feed him bland food for a couple of days, if he was no better to take him back. He's a lot better now and back to his usual self. I was feeding him white fish which he loves. He won't touch chicken.

The only food he will eat is Bozita pâté, Natures Menu pouches, Sheba trays and has the occasional dry Acana/Applaws and will not touch any raw.

I'm willing to try anything with my skinny little man.

Nicola suggested I try mice and doc, I'm sure I can get mice from my local pet shop, I will give them a call and ask, where would I get doc from?

Any advice is really appreciated.

2. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

I don't think his weight us that bad, Amber is 4.2kg at the moment.

Have you tried him on raw chicken breasted cubed?

3. sarahecp

Thanks Ellen :)

He looks so skinny though.

He won't eat any raw :rolleyes: I've tried all raw meats, chunks and mince, Frank tucks in to his NI and Seb turns his nose up :rolleyes:

#3 sarahecp, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Seb doesn't sound too light. If he's not a big framed cat, 4kg sounds a good weight. I know you said he looks skinny; have you checked his body shape against the condition scoring? Are his ribs visible? And did the vet say he was too skinny?

The reason I ask this is that one of mine 'looks' skinny, but he's really in fab condition. My O/H is forever going on about how skinny said cat is, but he's just naturally slim, and like Seb, not food oriented at all.

Seb's recent illness aside, if he's in good spirits, he eats what he likes, then perhaps he's just meant to be a smaller cat? In the meantime, just carry on feeding him a bit more of what he enjoys :)

5. sarahecp

Thanks Dougal :)

I haven't checked him against the condition scoring, I will have a look. His ribs are not visable, but his spine feels really boney and is visable. The vet didn't weigh him or comment on his condition when we went on Tuesday night.

My OH says he looks like a skinny stray :rolleyes:

Seb is in good spirits and happy :) Today he has eaten one pouch Natures Menu, I just worry he's not eating enough.

#5 sarahecp, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I have found Carny Kitten wet food good and goats milk.

If you wanted to try the raw again you could put a teaspoon of maple syrup mixed in, only way mine will touch NI.

Otherwise just a case of feeding more of what he likes, if he will eat more, try not to worry, he does sound a good weight. xx

7. sarahecp

Thanks CC :)

I've got some AC kitten and I will add some goats milk to my shopping list, off to Asda soon so I'll get some. Whenever I feed frank NI I always put a tiny bit on a plate for Seb, I'll try with a bit of maple syrup too.

If not I will carry on will what he likes and see how he goes and try not to worry :) xx

8. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

My 'skinny' cat is the same Sarah, bony spine but no visible ribs. I'm lucky if he eats 100g of wet food all day, along with a few biscuits, but that's what's 'normal' for him. Where as I have a little piggy who demands 4 meals per day at 100g each!!! (no dry at all for him, he won't touch it).

What I'm trying to say, don't compare Seb to Frank. They're all so different and it's those differences we fret about as they're not conforming in our eyes, when the reality is, they're perfectly happy as they are :)

Do ask your vet's opinion next time you there though, just to put your mind at rest.

Big hug to my favourite forum cat Seb :001_wub:

9. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

Feeding a cat mice or birds could cause more weight loss via worms (both carry worms).

Try not to worry, 4kg is a good weight for a average sized cat. Some cats eat more than others, just like us humans ;)

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Unless of course you routinely deworm - and the worm load from commercially farmed mice or DOC is completely different that those from the wild.

11. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

Of course deworm routinely, but feeding whole mice regularly will cause a never ending potential worm problem. I know lots of people who accidentally forget to keep on top of worming treatments ;)

12. sarahecp

Your little piggy sounds just like Frank :D

Are you reading my mind? :D I do compare Seb to Frank :eek: they are both so different and I shouldn't be comparing, I will stop it now.

I will ask my vets opinion next time we are there.

Thank you :) you've made me feel a lot better :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice