Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

skinny puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sarah Hawkins, Aug 1, 2020 at 12:21 PM.

1. Sarah Hawkins

Sarah Hawkins PetForums Newbie

Hello

I have an 18week old male lab pup (field strain) who is a gundog reject. I got him at 16 weeks old and he was being fed on skinners. He was a bit itchy and gassy so I have moved him onto Nutriment raw as of 3 days ago. Hes getting 750g a day. Plus cut up dried lamb intestine as treats.

His worming was up to date when I got him 2 weeks ago. However I noticed within a week he was on the skinny side and I could kinda see his ribs a bit. I mentioned this to the vet last Friday and she said his weight was perfect at he weighed 14.5kg at 17weeks which seems about right.

A week later and I still think he's definitely a bit too skinny as when I look down on him as his ribcage is too prominent and I can feel the knobbly bits along his spine.

I plan on worming him with VermX from tomorrow just incase. I see no worms in his poo and he's not bloated or scratching his bum.

My question is, is it normal for pups to go through a lanky stage? Hes eating well, playing as normal and nothing else has changed.

Its possible I maybe didn't feed him enough of the skinners as it was just in a bag and the website didn't give feeding guidelines. I was giving him 4 small meals a day, a cup at a time, plus extra for training. I don't think 4+ cups of kibble a day should be enough for him to lose condition. But maybe I grossly underestimated it? He was also a bit over active the last week and didn't nap much during the day. He seems more settled since I moved him onto nutriment.

Any advice appreciated!

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

If you can get photos of him we might be of more help? Ideally one of him standing from the side, and another of him standing from above. If your vet isn't worried I'd not be too concerned as vets see so many fat dogs (and so do the general public) that a nicely built dog is good to see! At 16 weeks I'd not really expect him to be going through a lanky phase, but of course they do as they grow, and all dogs are different and grow slightly differently.
    Verm-X isn't a wormer but a preventative, the only thing that actually gets rid of worms is medication from the vet. If you think he does have worms you could try Panacur as that's very gentle on the body (puppies can have it).

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's very normal.

Pups do most of their growing in the first five/six months and they do, particularly the larger breeds, go through a very lanky stage where they look all leg and no body.

At this stage, they have no real muscle or substance so can soon look too lean.

Weigh your pup once a week and, so long as he isn't losing weight, don't worry.

If he is losing weight, increase his food.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

3 times a day is probably enough for a pup that age. You could start increasing his other meals as you cut out out the one that is most inconvenient. I like to see a dog that age a bit lean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice