Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skinny kitten, how much should I feed him?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 20, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I got Harley on Saturday for the CPL. I never noticed before but he is really quite skinny. He's long haired and has a pot belly so he looks fat but if you lightly run your finger along his side you can feel his ribs, hips etc without having to press at all. He's almost 11 weeks old, in the rescue he was getting 2-3 pouches a day on a shared plate between him and his sister (who was half the size of Harley).

I'm thinking that this hasn't been nearly enough for them as he is ALWAYS hungry and he's been trying to steal food from our plates, if he manages to get something he's not supposed to (he grabbed the crusts from my sandwhich yesterday) and you try to take food off him he growls and bites you (enough to make me bleed). Could he have been under fed or could he just be greedy?

I've been giving him half a pouch of felix 3 times a day and 1 whole pouch at night before bed. So he's been getting about 2 1/2 pouches a day. I was told from someone at te shelter to not give him any more than that just now so that he doesn't get overweight. But I've also heard to feed them as much as they want?

It's been 3-4 years since Pepsi was a kitten so I can't remember how much he ate. Sorry for the long post

2. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten PetForums Member

I might be off the mark here and I've only just got my kittens myself but has he been wormed? Round worms cause a pot belly.

I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable will be along soon.

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

First thing I'd do is worm him :)

4. SilverCat285

He was wormed with panacure paste about a week and 1/2 ago at the shelter, I volunteer there so I was there at the time

5. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten PetForums Member

Could it be a reinfect ion with worms? I know that the medicine just paralyses the worms so in theory they could reinfect themselves with the eggs. I would worn again when due and see if this helps.

On the feeding issue, I'm in the sane boat. I've got two newly acquired kittens (my first cats as an adult) and one barely eats so the little boy finishes it off. I've no worries about his weight but concerned I'm over feeding as he's looking very pot bellied after his two dinners! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

6. SilverCat285

He's due his 2nd vaccination next week so I'll get the wormer then. I'm also planning to switch to applaws dry and animonda carny wet but I'm waiting until I get my other kitten in 2 weeks, once she's settled in I'll switch both over at the same time

7. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

You can't overfeed a growing kitten... Give him as much as he wants when he wants it, he's got a lot of growing to do and when he is having a growth spurt it can be scary just how much they can put away, Cats are usually pretty good a self regulating and he will probably slow down when he realises food is always there and he isn't having to compete for it with his sister

8. SilverCat285

Thanks, I'll definitely be increasing his food. I just gave him a full pouch, he scoffed that and is now fighting me for my packet of crisps! The shelter told me to give him what it says on the box and not anymore, even if he was still hungry!

9. Xanthia

Xanthia PetForums Member

Thats silly, the box can often be wrong! Give him as much as he can eat, my cats always had as much as they wanted when they were kittens and they are fine now :) Definately worm him too, they need doing every couple of weeks as the worms eggs hatch out and reinfect them (gross) :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice