Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skinners F+T Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Thorne, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Was wondering if anyone on here fed Skinner's Field and Trial Maintenance: Skinners Petfoods - Field & Trial Maintenance Dog Food to their dogs, and whether they can reccommend it or otherwise.
    Scooter is currently on Chappie Chicken variety (dry) as his previous food was locally made until the mill shut down. That was a Chicken and Rice based maintenance food and he did very well on it. He does fine on Chappie but i'd rather give him something that's higher quality but still quite similar.

Scooter is a working strain, intact male Labrador. He's never been a high energy dog (he's asleep right now!) so i think this food would probably suit him well :)

Thanks in advance, Thorne + Mr. Scoo xx

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Meat is only the third ingredient, thats what would concern me. Meat should be the first ingredient.

For me, it contains too much cereals, but overall, doesnt look too bad compared to some feeds out there.

3. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Yes, i'm afraid budget is a problem in the matter - really high quality stuff like JWB and Hills are completely out of the question :eek:.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think the skinners duck and rice is meant to be good, and shouldnt break the bank Skinners Petfoods - Field & Trial Duck & Rice Hypoallergenic Dog Food Higher protein, and meat is the second ingredient, which isnt bad.

Plus its free of many of the things that dogs are allergic to.

5. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Ooh that one does look good - thanks!
    I think i'll email skinners and see if i can get a sample of each to try. Scooter's not had duck before but i've heard it's easy to digest so could well be a better option :)

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've used Skinners duck and rice for my dog for over 3 years, and she did better on it than she previously did on Burns. I think it's a very good food for the money. I have recently changed to their salmon and rice as it has glucosamine in too, and she is now 6 and does a lot of agility. She can't digest wheat, maize or soya so I have to be careful with her food. Her coat looks great too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice