Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skinners Dog food what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by stigDarley, Mar 30, 2011.

1. stigDarley

stigDarley PetForums Senior

I really like Skinners dog food. The comapny is lovely and the MD will even answer questions which i think is lovely!

What are peoples views on the food?

2. Roobster2010

Roobster2010 PetForums Senior

I use Skinners for my Springer pup.

She started out on the "puppy" & now she's moving on slowly to the adult. Ive started giving her the "museli" & "crunchy" so she has a bit of variety At the moment I'm still mixing with the puppy variety. She really likes the food & I think its very good quality & certainly reasonably priced compared to some others on the market

My friend uses it for her Lab & my daughter has changed to it for her ABD.

I get it locally from someone who even delivers it to me for nowt.

Happy Days:001_smile:

3. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Too much corn, their "& Rice" working varieties aren't too bad, I would probably be willing to put my dogs on this if I needed a cheap food in a pinch/emergency situation. I preferred to have my dobes on a food that was completely grain free like Taste of The Wild, Orijen, or Acana. I was feeding less (pup's sibling was on 9 or 10 cups of Royal Canin per day, pup only needed 4-5 cups on Taste of the Wild), dog was producing less waste.

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I use duck and rice very good IMO dogs love it, great price they look amazing!

5. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

i have been using it for well over a year and am constantly asked how we make her coat get into such a great condition, she is at a good weight, constantly looks forward to her food (which used to be a battle) and since we have started using it, i think she has only had one bout of colitis - and that was because we added a tin of meaty stuff which didnt agree with her. She is on the salmon and rice hypo-allergenic.

Big thumbs up from me :thumbup::thumbup:

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I fed skinners salmon and rice for quite a while and at the time was happy with it. Would only consider their duck/lamb and rice as well - nothing else.

My thought was that altho the meat content isnt great. I can supplement that.

For me, joining here and learning about food/ what works for my dog, has been a great learning curve.

I soon twigged that dogs dont need lots of cereal and the main ingredient is rice which put me off skinners.

7. stigDarley

Has anyone looked at the new Turkey and rice one?

I have to admit my dobe and Akita love it and look really good off it! We do feed lots of other things as I like variety in my dogs food.

But we always have skinners int he morning and raw at night... althoug they do tend to get some of my food as well as I tend to cook way to much.
    Rice veg and that type fo thing!

8. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Roo eats what he wants, when he wants. Fussy little nob.

Harvey eats anything.

Tend to have settled on Hi-Life at mornings, Raw in evenings with Skinners...but only if Roo wants it. If not Harvey does his hoover impression...

9. rebeccajackson

rebeccajackson PetForums Member

I have just ordered some for my dogs - I know the springer will love it (he gobbles up anything) but hoping my sibe will like it (shes really picky!)

10. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

My 9yo vizzie won't touch it at all ! I have tried many types for her to eat it once or twice then refuse the only one she will eat is Dr Johns Silver !

11. stigDarley

Have you tried the New Turkey and rice one? Thats brand new out...

12. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

My two used to have the Skinners, either the Salmon or the Duck. Then a few months ago they both went off it (both varieties). Don't know whether ingredients have been changed or something. Have them back on JWB at the moment. Thinking of trying to CSJ hypoallergenic salmon.

13. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Mine was on Skinners F&T Muesli. I was really happy with it as a food but it didn't suit her so changed to raw.

14. wynnpot

wynnpot PetForums Junior

I've been thinking of switching to this - currently on weinwrights (cant remember how u spell it!) and I'm liking it because (without sounding weird!) his poos are nice, small and healthy.
    Any poo-quality feedback from you skinners feeders??!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. SashaXx

SashaXx PetForums Member

I think Skinners is good for the price to be honest.

16. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I have used skinners only F/T on and off for some time on 1 of mine, have been useing the duck but she does get bouts of upset tums now and then on it.
    I have been giving her the F/T Turkey and rice just lately and she seems fine on that:thumbup1:

Went to my local country farm store this week where I buy the skinners and picked up Vitalin lamb and rice sensitive 2.5kg bags as buy one get one free and that is going down very well with my other girle as she is not good on skinners.
    The vitalin sensitive is not bad either ingredient wise or would not have even tried it.;) we will see how it goes with her and maybe introduce to other girl instead of skinners.
    But no complaints with skinners its a good choice food.

17. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Ifeed the duck and rice as i found all mine can eat it.A couple of the cavs have sensative stomachs and i got fed up with feeding different foods.I started because my old collie had started to mess without knowing but as soon as on skinners it stopped.I think it is good for the price.

18. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I reckon Sninners is a great budget food :D
    Of all the budget food I personally think it's one of the best - I feed Field and Trial maintanence and my 2 love it :)
    I used to feed Burns - which they loved aswell and did really well on - but I needed to find a cheaper alternative.

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

As a budget food its pretty good. Mine really didnt like it though, crapped a tonne, lost weight and seemed hungry all the time.

I much prefer Arden Grange, which isnt a that much more expensive.

Different courses for different horses though.

20. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

We were recommended to get the field and trial by the BC rescue we got Teddy from

All three of my dogs are healthy , happy and enjoy their food ... and our wallet enjoys the fact its not massively overpriced like some of the brands are

:thumbup: from me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice