Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skinners Alternative...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rowlers, Jan 2, 2012.

1. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

Marley, 7mth old yellow Lab, has had dodgy guts since we got him, loose stools etc..
    Thought we'd found the answer in skinners F&T salmon. He ALOT better but still gets the occasional loose poo, and he is never what I'd call normal poo.

He cannot stomach meat, chicken, duck, lamb all runs out of him.

I'll stay on skinners for now, but looking for other alternatives at around the same price (max £30 per 15kg bag)

Also thinking about some pro-biotic supplements, are they worth a shot?

Hes doing well though, here with our older [coming up 10] lab/collie x Ben
    [​IMG]

thanks

#1 rowlers, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Autarky salmon and rice is £35 for two bags delivered at berried woods.

Ingredients

http://www.berriewoodwholesale.co.uk/det/3792/Autarky-Adult-Salmon-Rice-15Kg/

It's replaced skinners as my budget recommendation. Both protexin profibre and bionic biotics are blooming marvellous for helping dodgy tums.

Although TBH with such a sensitive tum I'd no even think about feeding any grains at all. Massive cause of upset tums. When you fed lamb, duck etc, did was it in the form of dry food? And did that dry food have wheat, maize etc in?

I'm not saying you don't know best about your dog, you absolutely do lol. Just that with the majority of dogs it s the grains that cause the upset tums and not the meat. So worth a mention.

#2 Lyceum, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I also changed from skinners -Autarky and find my dogs are alot better on it,

4. WarFlyball

WarFlyball PetForums Member

CSJ have just bought out a grain free food, although it is just above your budget at £35 for 15kg but I am sure they will send you samples... No Grainer! - CSJK9 Ltd.

5. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your posts.

He's always fed on dry, was on wainwrights, before I went with skinners. He was pretty much the same on the wainwrights as he is on skinners.
    Was looking at the Autarky found it after searching on here. It is a bargain, but it looks too similar to the skinners?
    I was thinking that it was the grains after reading many post about it.
    Are there any £30 bags that are grain free? Simpsons?

6. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

How are they better? Better in general health? Better poo?

thanks

7. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Yellow lab

8. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

thanks, edited

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Just a thought have you tried cutting down the amount you feed,,, i know in the past when i have over fed my dogs they then get "a bit runny" hope your dogs tum settles soon x

10. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

I havn't considered this TBH! He's on approx 450g per day, 1/2 morning, 1/2 late afternoon.
    Its worth a try though!

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

It has more meat than skinners.

Simpsons is a great food. Only food that didn't go right through Novak when he has tum problems. I'd tried loads and have that a try and after about 3 months on potato and egg he could finally have actual food. Even chicken and rice went through him.

I'd defo give the grain free a go. Check treats too in case there's any in there.

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

13. Quiddelbach

Quiddelbach PetForums Junior

Iwas going to suggest Simpsons salmon and potato, I feed the lamb and potato version and I am very impressed with it. :)

14. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I always forget about this, I shouldn't because for sensitive tums it's a fantastic food, the fish and potato uses hydrolysed meat so is truly hypo allergenic, 24kg is £60 but if you can afford it I'd Absolutely give it a go. Maybe ask if he can send a sample. It's absolutely worth a go.

15. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

No local supplier and postage makes this a bit above budget... shame.

So much choice!

16. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Sadly if you want grain free food there isn't much choice for £35.

Can I ask what weight your dog is?

There is high quality grain free foods such as Taste of the wild, I fed Simpson to my two, and a 6.8kg bag of taste of the wild lasted me the same amount of time as a 12kg bag of Simpsons because you feed a lot less. And the Taste of the wild was £26 per bag.

17. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

The only thing that puts me off the Autarky salmon is the prairie meal which is a maize by product

18. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

If you are not aware of this already, it's worth noting that you cannot simply say budget price for 15kg bag. It does vary considerably with the amount you need to feed your dog (taken from the product's recommended feeding guide). If you check the http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/189896-dry-dog-food-index.html you will notice the author put in a price per day based on a 15kg adult dog. The only way to determine how much something will cost is to work out the cost on a similar basis. You may find brand X may cost more but last a lot longer as you feed smaller portions.

It should also be noted that feeding quantities are guidelines only. Every dog is different.

19. rowlers

rowlers PetForums Newbie

Grain free is more expensive eh!

Marley is just over 30KG, maybe a taj more as last weighted him a week ago. I'm tempted to give the Autarky ago, as our older lab has concrete stomach and can eat anything, so it won't go to waste! At 450grams a day the Skinners does not last long!

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When you look at these, the fish and potato looks good (I'll be trying this when I need to stock up on food), the duck and potato is OK, but the salmon and potato contains maize and oats (grains in anybody's book).

Good prices, thanks for bringing these up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice