Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

SKINK HELP! (cricket escapeess)

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by puddles, Feb 19, 2008.

1. puddles

puddles PetForums Junior

hi i just bought a skink and i have a seperate tank for crickets. i dont know how but ive found 2 crickets roaming my house. ive only had them for 2 days... how can this happen? i was wondering is it possiable to just feed a skink the dead ones in a can? maybe with fruit and vegis. and stuff? ive heard of people feeding them pet food also? anybody can help me out with this one.

o and one last question how the heck to u catch the crickets it took me almost 3 hours to catch 5 for the poor guy. also is there a way to make the crickets not jump against the wall every 2 seconds its noisy lol

ill post pictures when i get them tomorrow

2. claire

claire Guest

no matter what lengths i went to try and contain crickets it never worked, they always escape, they are just good at it and when i lived at home my mum would go mad when she would be sat watching tele at night and one would walk past! the best thing i found to do, i know it sounds cruel but hoover them up its the easiest way. I dont think feeding them dead ones will work they have to be moving to show an interest but i had leopard geckos so maybe its different for skinks. as for the noise there not really much you can do about that either and wait till one starts calling at night and if it escapes and ya cant find it and its up all night making noise thats fun but i think its all part of being a reptile owner, looking forward to seeing photos:)

3. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

you can buy a kricket keeper container for crickets with a tube in the . so you can pour the crickets into the tank without them escaping.type the word cricket keeper into google to search shops.

4. claire

claire Guest

i had one of these and still had some escapees i think they can get through the mesh or sliding doors i was very unlucky with them

5. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

There is also another type which is in a shape of a cup with a lid on and has a tube in the top of it.

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I used to have this trouble, It was the brown crickets that used to jump like hell and excaped and made a bad noise all night long...i changed over to the black crickets which don't seem as fast and are well easy to catch coz they did'nt hardly jump, u can get these black crickets in all different sizes and they seem more meatier.

7. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

The problem with black crickets is if they are not munched until dead by the lizard properly they can eat through the lizard.
    I have seen this happen with a lizard (not mine) it is not very nice to see a head of a blackcricket poking out of a lizard.
    These are only suitable for larger lizards with strong jaws or spiders

8. puddles

puddles PetForums Junior

question for you all my skink only eats 2 crickets a day is that okay?

9. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Be honest i have'nt a clue.
    It was bearded drags i kept..they got on great on black cricks, they munched theres up a treat, Never had no probs with them, So would'nt know about the skinks..sorry.

10. claire

claire Guest

That is all my geckos ate but i dont know about skinks

11. claire

claire Guest

thats just made me feel ill:(

12. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

Feeding capacity all depends on the size of your skink the species and what else are you feeding. Blue tongued skinks are fruit and veg eaters too, there are other species that will only eat crickets, pinkies and other insects.

13. Boccia Boy

Boccia Boy PetForums Member

We have lizards and it comes with the tertiory of keeping crcket eaters escapies lol

14. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

I feed my frog silent brown crickets,
    I keep them in a cricket keeper, i have had a few escapies, but since putting sellotape over the holes in the viv, that are no longer used for wires,and over the holes where the tubes clip on to the keeper, the only ones i find hop off the underside of Freddy's water dish when i clean it.;)

15. lalala

lalala PetForums Member

What about feeding locusts? They dont make a noise and if any escape they are much easier to catch.

16. mum_of_5+pets!

mum_of_5+pets! PetForums Junior

My son came to me in tears a few weeks ago cos there were about 6 crickets loose in his room!! They were in a cricket keeper so I have no idea how they escaped.......I managed to catch most of them by covering them with a cup n sliding paper under it then putting them in for gecko to have!!......took about an hour though!!.........since we changed from brown to black crickets though we haven't had any escapees!!! :)(touch wood!)

17. stormbuster

stormbuster PetForums Newbie

hi what you have to do is put them in the fridge for 5 to 8 minutes because this slows them so you can even pick them up in your hand, but dont leave them in the fridge for too long as the cold will kill them the only difference between black and brown is the brown ones are noisy
    kind regards
    shirley:thumbup:

#17 stormbuster, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  18. sokeldachshunds

sokeldachshunds PetForums Member

Escaped crix is a part of reptile keeping :rolleyes:
    Are you sure they are def escaping from what ever you keep them in?I find a lot escape through the gap between the sliding glass doors of the vivs or the holes that the cables run through
    I am lucky enough to have a cat that catches any of mine so they dont become a problem :D

19. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

My escapees use to always end up in our bath tub. Think they head for water after a few days loose. Then i use to catch then as they couldnt get out the sides of the bath. I was always amazed at how load they can be even though i use to get the quiter brown crickets.

20. The Skink at my college has 2-3 Mealworms and some mashed bannana and grape - she loves it :D she's a Blue Tongue though... not sure if that makes a difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice