Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin problem?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by spac3cow6oy, Nov 22, 2012.

1. spac3cow6oy

spac3cow6oy PetForums Newbie

I've been noticing recently when petting my cat that there are what feel like little scabs under his fur. They come loose and appear to be small tufts of hair held together by what looks like dry skin. Sometimes one will just be sticking out of his fur. They only seem to be around his head and neck.

I've been curious for a few days now, but wasn't too worried, however today I noticed that one the top of his head had bled slightly. It's like if you pick a not yet healed scab, you know?

What could be causing this? Do I need to take him to the vet?

2. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Could be a flea allergy..mine gets same. I use spot on every month to combat it

3. spac3cow6oy

Yeah, I use spot on as well, and he's up to date with his latest treatment. Could he still get the allergy even with the treatment? I've never seen fleas on or around him, but then, he is black. :/

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, your cat could still have a flea allergy even though you have treated him with a spot-on (particularly if it is one that is not effective such as Frontline).

Also you need to treat your house with an insecticide (Indorex or Acclaim)
    so the flea larvae & pupae that hide in carpets and cracks in wooden floors, won't hatch out into fleas and jump on your cat and bite him. It is the flea saliva which causes the allergy. The spot-on will kill the fleas but only after they have bitten him.

However if he is an outdoor cat he can easily pick up the odd flea from outside. Cat fleas are not host specific and can be dropped by hedgehogs, and other wild animals, as well as by any passing untreated cat.

Best thing to prevent a flea allergy is to comb your cat with a flea comb at the end of every day, to trap the odd flea, (which you drown in a bowl of water) as well as treating your cat with Advantage or Advocate once a month.

The itching and scratching can be hard to cure, and your cat may need a steroid injection to help calm his skin down.

Having a flea allergy in the past (treated) has triggered food allergies in one of my cats unfortunately:(

5. spac3cow6oy

Sorry to hear about your cats allergy. :(

Albie spends time both inside and out, so we knew he had to be given some kind of anti-flea treatments. I thought Frontline was one of the better ones?

I realised that I have not been grooming him much, so I've bought a new brush and given him a good groom today. He really enjoys it and there didn't seem to be any more 'scabby' bits after I'd brushed out the few loose bits of hair that were there. The skin on his neck looks and feels very healthy to me, so could it just be that he's not being groomed enough? I read that it's very important to keep a cat well brushed even if they're not the kind who get matted.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Frontline used to be one of the best treatments, but is no longer effective in most cases, so vets are tending to recommend Advantage or Advocate instead. (Advocate and Advantage contain the same pesticides but Advocate also contains a round-worm treatment).

Grooming your cat with a brush or an ordinary comb won't get rid of fleas, as they are so adept at hiding in the fur. You need a fine toothed flea comb, specially made for the purpose. Like this:

Mikki Grooming Small Animal Flea Comb: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Use this once a day, particularly in areas such as round the neck and groin area where fleas like to hide. As well as giving the spot-on once a month. :)

7. spac3cow6oy

Thanks for all the help. I ordered a Mikki flea comb today and I'll be using either Advantage or Advocate from now on. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice