Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin problem in staffy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sally1996, Jun 30, 2017.

1. sally1996

sally1996 PetForums Newbie

My staffy is 6 nearly 7 and is suffering with terrible skin, he had been down the vets ( which he is scared of). We have enough had skin scraps and blood test and he was also on steroids and antibiotics to see if that helped which it did but they wont give anymore. his skin is so brittle and bleeds if he catches it. We have tried antihistamines and coconut oil but he keeps noring himself.
    Any advice would be most appreciated not sure what else to try.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I assume the skin scrapings were to test for mite and Demodex and that the results were negative?

Do you know what the blood tests were for?

Our young Staffy developed allergies when she was around a year old and her skin became very red, inflamed in places and she was biting/scratching constantly.

We had allergy tests done for her and the results showed she is allergic to quite a list of things, mainly different foods.

We have now eliminated from her diet all the foods to which she reacts and her problems have all but gone. We also have a medication called Apoquel, which will control any itching, should she have a flare up.

Do you take your dog in long grass and have you noticed any reaction if you do?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Skin issues can often start with one condition and then because of the traumatising the skin through things like scratching and gnawing it then can introduce further secondary infection usually bacterial so you then end up not with one issue but two issues that have to be treated.

Quite often if the problem or root of the problem is an allergic reaction steroids will work. Steroids reduce things like the itching and inflammation because they have anti inflammatory properties, but what they also do given in high enough doses is they suppress the immune system too. An allergic response is the bodies immune system going overboard to an allergen that is present, taking steroids suppresses the immune system
    so it doesn't go overboard in response to the allergen. If the allergen is still present when they come off them, then the whole thing can start up again. The fact that he seemed to be better while on the steroids, and the antibiotics could have likely dealt with any secondary bacterial infection, it does sound like the root of his problem may be that he is allergic to something. While on them and the antibiotics to deal with bacterial infection fine. Off them the allergic response comes back.

An allergen can be something in the food, cereals particularly ones like wheat and maize can be a more common one, although some dogs are also intolerant or allergic to certain meat proteins too. What are you feeding him might be worth looking at whats actually in the food and see if there is any clues there. If it is something that is high in cereal/grains especially maize and wheat, it might be worth trying a completely grain free food. It might also be worth trying another single meat protein that is different and known to be more hypo allergenic.

Dogs though can also be allergic to environmental things, grasses and pollens are one, so if it seems to happen at a certain time of year more that may even be a factor, some can be allergic too things like fungus yeasts and moulds that you especially get at other times of the year like autumn. Another common one often tends to be dust mites and storage mites, storage mites are found in things like dried dog food.

You can actually have allergy testing done by the vets to try to identify intolerances or things they are allergic too both in food and environmental.

4. Katie2017

Katie2017 PetForums Newbie

Hi Sally I'm having the same with my Staffie she started with it about 2 years ago and she has had numerous tests e.g checked for fleas mites but not found nothing. She was put on steroids and it cleared up thankfully. About 2 weeks later it came back again but started effecting her ears where they would be red, sore and really itchy but I noticed it was always her left ear never the right one. The vet recommended to go bck on steroids for a month and gave me some cream called surolan which has steriod in it and thankfully it has all cleared up. The vet had a meeting with me and suggested staying on the steriods long time which makes me worried as I've heard bad things about steriods and what they do

5. sally1996

The result came back positive for mites which live at end of hair, he carried out treatment for a year and got a negative result and was told all mites were gone. We was taking him to the vets for a year before they suggested the skin scrap. I think it was just a general blood test it did come back saying low protein but it wasn't low enough to worry about. No he doesn't go in long grass. He is constantly biting/noring himself and he ears are constantly getting infections, not sure what else to do

6. sally1996

My dog has problems with ear infection and his skin flares up more when he has an ear infection. We asked if he could be lion steroids longer but got told no

7. sally1996

His skin tends to flare up more in hot weather or when he has an ear infection, we have changed the dry food he is on to see if it was that but there was no change.

8. Katie2017

Ye my dog is the same when she gets ear infections which she gets quite regularly now her skin becomes more pink and irrates her. I have been googling about steriods in dogs and there are quite alot of problems with them. My dog has been on steroids now for over 3 weeks and I have started to notice that she is losing muscle which is one of the side effects to steriods.when I rang the vets today they said it myt not be the steriods and not to stop giving her them as it can cause shock to her body. I hate giving her them cos dont know what they doing to her body but don't think vets can recommend anything else. Does your dog lick her paws and pads aswell

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Has your Staffy been tested for allergies?

The fact that she responded to steroids could suggest that she has allergies and, if that's the case, there is an effective alternative to the steroids called Apoquel.

Our Staffy has severe allergies and a combination of removing everything to which she reacts from her diet and environment and low doses of Apoquel keep her skin good and non itchy.

10. Katie2017

She hasn't been tested for that no but she on a special food it's called d/d lamb and rice and Wafcol biscuits which the vet recommended but I'm defo going to ask for them to do more tests as I don't want to keep her on the steriods. We kept her off grass for 3 months as they didn't know if it was grass allergies but she still kept getting them and we have stopped all tit bits and treats

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Our Staffy was tested and is allergic to : Chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, rice, wheat, corn, oats, soya, yeast and peas.

She also reacts badly if allowed to run in long grass in the Summer.

We have her on a pork based kibble which contains none of the foods to which she's allergic, with a venison based wet food.

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting your dog on steroids long term. Rudi was treated initially with steroids and we felt the same way, this is why we were keen to have her allergy tested.

12. Katie2017

How do they do the tests and it just annoys me as all the money i have spent and havin to take her to the vets all the tym as she doesn't like the vets lol

13. sally1996

He does lick and bite his paws and pads, the vets are not very helpful

14. Katie2017

No I totally agree when my dog first got it they kept making me buy loads of different stuff and then sometimes they would even put her bck on tablets even tho i told them it wasn't working but for about 5 months I have been seeing the same vet which is better for me and for my dog as she likes the vet. I just wish they cud give her something to make it disappear and not to return

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's done by blood test and the analysis is normally back in less than a week.

Is she insured? If so, your Insurance Company will cover the cost.

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

At one point, Rudi was very bad. Her skin was bright red and irritated all over, she was constantly biting at her paws and stifles and scratching herself all over.

Once we knew what she is allergic to, we changed her food immediately and used the Apoquel tablets until it was under control.

Now, her skin is normal and she never bites or scratches.

17. Katie2017

I'm going to ring my vet on Monday and suggest a allergie test and hopefully find out what's causing it and my dog is the exactly the same once she starts itching she doesn't stop and when we try and stop her she goes in another room so she can do it and I myt ask vet to try apoquel as she never been on them I think see if they are better then steriods

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It depends what you have changed too, if there is still something in the new food that he has an intolerance too then it obviously wont help,
    thats assuming of course it is just food intolerance/allergies there is a chance that it may be something environmental.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice