Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin issues on immobile Dachshund

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by C. louder, Jun 16, 2017.

1. C. louder

C. louder PetForums Newbie

I am reaching out for suggestions to help my 12 year old female dachshund who has been immobile for over three years. Unfortunately she was over fed which led to extreme hip and knee joint problems. She eventually got to where she couldn't stand up at all and that caused deformities in her feet. She is on daily pain meds with anti-inflammatory meds. We assist her to use the bathroom and keep her clean. She spends most of her time on a raised mesh bed to promote air circulation. The problem is no matter what we do she sweats in the folds of her legs then bacteria breeds causing more problems. We have medicated shampoo, creams, wipes, spray and powder. What I would like to know is how can I keep her dry so we don't have to use all that stuff??? IMG_1146.JPG

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you ever tried the special sheets or pads that soak up the urine without letting the urine through the backing but at the same time the top layer stays dry? You can get special veterinary/dog products but you can also buy the human version. You can get disposable ones but also ones that you can wash and reuse, there are others but there is a selection of the sort of things you can buy on the links.

http://www.jacobsden.co.uk/the-wet-dog-mat.html

http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/viva-medi-bed-pad-plus-60-x-90cm-1500ml-pack-of-35.html?

Vet bed is another good alternative as that has good drainage properties to keep them dry, and you can wash and reuse it and it dries quickly too
    http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/prod...bedding/vet-bed-original-dog-and-cat-bedding/

Calvine likes this.
  3. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Is she completely unable to stand/move by herself?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She doesn't sweat into the folds of her skin; dogs have no sweat glands other than between their pads - that's why they have to pant to cool themselves. Any moisture must be of some other origin.
    She's clearly morbidly obese and MUST lose weight. If she can't do it by exercise, you will have to restrict her food intake.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Without meaning to be harsh, I would have to consider her quality of life tbh

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't help but agree really. If she's immobile, getting sore and needing pain relief it sounds pretty miserable for her.

Calvine, lullabydream and cava14 una like this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If she really cannot stand up, what does she do all day and how does she eat and drink? Sorry to say this, but if she cannot do the simple things that dogs do every day, standing, walking (even a short way), eating a bowl of food, then I don't think there is much joy in her life. If she was my dog, I would ask my vet whether he would want his own dog to have such limited enjoyment from life. It is a hard decision that you may have to make, as you obviously love her.

lullabydream and cava14 una like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice