Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin infections.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by branwen, Jun 21, 2014.

1. branwen

branwen PetForums VIP

29 viewings to this thread......but sadly no one could be bothered to answer the question.

Attached Files:

#1 branwen, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. victoria171168

victoria171168 PetForums VIP

I cant see the question anywhere.that maybe why you havent had any replies.

If its a skin infection he may need meds. Also spray the area with something called Leucillin it's a horse anti bac spray.

3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

where is the question :confused:

Maybe no-one knew the answer .....

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

It's a hot summers Sunday. There is not many people on the forum. It is quite possible most of those 29 viewings were computer bots and not real people.
    The others may not have known the answer.

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I don't know what the original question was but that looks like it needs vet visit and some antibiotics.

Hope he gets better soon.

V

6. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Well, this is odd. There doesn't appear to be a question. Maybe thE OP thinks we are all psychic.

7. branwen

branwen PetForums VIP

No I don't think you are all psychic.:rolleyes:

I deleted the post because no one had bothered answering my question either because I assumed they couldn't be bothered,were not interested or didn't care about my dog.Thank you for telling me he needs a vet...he's been and is back tonight.

Thank you Babycham2002 I hope he gets better soon too.:)

8. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I didn't see your original question but I think you're being a bit harsh there (bolded bit). I think that generally this is a very caring forum and there are many people who are only too happy to help and advise where they can and if they've had experience of whatever the problem is.

I think probably what happened was that

1) 29 viewings isn't really very many, and as Babycham said it was a hot summer Sunday, people are taking advantage of this exceptional weather and there's not so many people reading the forum as they're probably gardening/out for the day/etc.

2) Some people just click on threads because they're interested in the subject heading but when they read it they have no advice and can't help in any way. I suppose they could reply with something along the lines of "Oooh, that looks nasty but I don't know what it is so can't help you" but that's not really a lot of use to you.

I've put questions up and had no responses. I've put it down to the fact that I may have posted at a time when no-one's around who can help and it's dropped off page 1 and not everyone goes back and looks at every new post. Either that or people don't like me and my posts which would make me sound paranoid! So if it's important enough I give the post a "bump" to bring it back to the top when there's more people around who might be able to help which I find tends to be in the evening.

Please don't think that people don't care or can't be bothered, I'm sure that isn't the case.

I hope your vet can sort out the problem, please let us know how he gets on :).

9. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I don't know what the question was, but if it was along the lines of: "Do you think this is a skin infection?" then my answer would have pretty much been to see the vet, because nobody on a internet forum can make a diagnosis over t'interweb.

I too have found this a very caring forum. But it's not a virtual veterinary surgery! :D

Sorry you felt you didn't get the help you needed. What did the vet say?

10. LaceWing

LaceWing PetForums Senior

It looks like he got into something toxic and is having a reaction. Vitamin C will help his body heal and reduce inflammation, but you need to take him to a vet and find out what is causing the problem. While I think it is something in the environment it could be symptomatic of a virus. Make an appointment.

11. branwen

branwen PetForums VIP

Shoshannah I never asked anyone to make a diagnosis as I already knew it was a skin infection because my vet to told me it was.My original question was to ask if anyone else had experienced this kind of problem and how did they deal with it.Obviously we are very upset that Dylan is having such a bad time.
    I didn't actually say that PF wasn't a caring forum did I :confused:
    I hope that I have been a caring member in my short time on here when I have answered posts from members who were having problems with their pets and also the sad posts we all read.I think that everyone needs a little support sometimes.

12. branwen

branwen PetForums VIP

I also think it's something Toxic or he may have been bitten by something.Sadly it's getting worse not better and he saw a vet of Friday and again last night.

13. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

I would certainly try bicarbonate of soda. Make a few table spoons up with water in a spray bottle and spray the infected areas. It has natural, powerful, healing and soothing properties. It worked for my friends dog. She used to bath him, and then rub it into his coat and then brush out when dry.

14. Ceiling Kitty

Sorry, I didn't know what the question was!

I only said I found it a caring forum in echoing DirtieGertie's sentiments, it was not intended in any way as a slight against you. I for one have valued your contributions to the forum in the past.

There are a lot of people out there who *do* ask for a diagnosis when they should be consulting a vet, and I wanted to make a point for anyone passing through this thread and reading it.

Obviously you were not asking for a diagnosis, I did not mean to assert that you were but apologies if it has come across this way - as I said I had no idea what your question was.

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its hard to see in the photo if its just the skin, or there is a lump there too.
    It could be just a bacterial infection, but as it also looks as if its near her mouth/ on her bottom jaw, (or appears to be cant see in the photo properly) sometimes they can also get things like root tooth abcesses forming or draning tracts if they have something wrong with the tooth or root. The teeth may be clean but if there is a fracture then bacteria can get below the gum line into the tooth root and cause facial infected swelling that can burst or drain too. As said its hard to see, best thing would be for the vet to have a look.

16. Ceiling Kitty

Vet has seen. :)

17. branwen

branwen PetForums VIP

Don't think it's anything to do with teeth SDH,but Thank's for your input anyway...definatly some kind of infection.I have just taken another pic...they don't bleed constantly now only when they itch him and drive him crazy so he runs himself against the floor or furniture.He's been cleaned with hibiscrub earlier so there's less puss there too at the moment.

Attached Files:

18. LaceWing

LaceWing PetForums Senior

I would still go the Vitamin C route. Use a powder or crystal, buffered and give him a half teaspoon every day. The C acts as an antihistamine. It will help with the swelling, and will fight an infection. C can actually break down toxins so the body can flush them. You can’t really go wrong with C, especially if you don’t know what the problem is.

19. Ceiling Kitty

If it's an infection and the antibiotics he is on aren't resolving it, then maybe he needs a change of antibiotics. Resistant bugs are a big worry if 'regular' skin antibiotics aren't helping.

Another possibility is immune-mediated disease, in which case steroids may be the next route.

Looks nasty. :( xx

20. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Vitamin C is controversial as a supplement, especially considering a lot of foods use it already as a preservative. For dogs under stress it may be useful in the short time but I disagree that you can't go wrong. Although the AAFCO has approved the addition of vitamin C, a dog manufactures vitamin C naturally. I would advise people to do their own research before supplementing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice