Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin Growths

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by yabbadoo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. yabbadoo

yabbadoo Banned

These are sometimes referred to as Skin Tags, but they can be quite large.

My dog Kaiser has one between his front legs on the fore chest. Several vets have said it is "cosmetic" and poses no threat. It looks ugly and is annoying, but seems to be dormant and just an unsightly nuisance.

My vet looks at it every time we see him, but says it is no problem. He will remove it if and when the dog is next anesthetized for some other reason.

I am posting this simply to ask if any of you have had experience with this kind of problem. Any comments will be appreciated and hopefully will give me confidence and make me feel happier.

Kaiser :-

[​IMG]

Kaiser :- About the size of a medium soft plum.

[​IMG]

Example - not my dog, but the larger tag is more visible :-

[​IMG]

2. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Busters got a small one on his hind leg , however, he also has a skin tumour that is being removed at the end of the month. The vet said she will remove the skin tag too. She did say though, she would have left it if he did not need the skin tumour removing, as it is not causing any problems and is harmless.

Beautiful dog BTW :)

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes I had one removed from my 3 yr old bitch's right rear leg last August.

I think it may have been caused by over-vaccination. I had to change vets and I think my old vet had given her a 3 yr vac but the new practice insisted on giving her the full vac again 12 months later.

It cost in excess of £250.00 to remove.

4. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Tags such as these can be tied off on horses. I appreciate that this may not be feasible with dogs as they obviously tend to chew at themselves, but it may be something to raise with your vet. Having seen it work effectively with a horse, I was surprised to see that this method worked within two weeks on a very large sarcoid. I don't think it took long with the lambs that were ringed, too.

For the fact that I'd rather not have my dogs undergo a general anaesthetic, I'd approach the vet with at least the possibility if you'd prefer it gone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice