Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin/ ear cancer

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jaf, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Slinky is at least 6. She is feral and has ear cancer, ear tips were removed 6 years ago. Poor girl has a horrible wound now. I can't just pop her to the vet and even if I catch her I can't keep her in and treat her.

I welcome and thoughts or experience of this.

@Ceiling Kitty any advice please?

Thanks.

IMG_20201109_163417.jpg

Attached Files:

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Slinky needs to see a vet. If you are in the UK there are groups that might help trapping her,

Jaf likes this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Your poor Slinky. Could you get this post/thread moved to the cat health section? Are you able to bathe it all with cooled down boiling water with salt added & then thoroughly dry it? (With cotton wool). Could a vet come out to you? Does anyone you know, know a vet that they could send a photo or video to, for advice? Could you email a vet, with photos? Good luck.
    Edit: it’s not just the ear though is it? There’s something else going on around the eyes & nose areas, which a good clean and drying may help?

Jaf likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Jaf - are you able to pay for her vet treatment, or is there an organisation in Spain who can help with costs for treating a feral cat?

Can you ask your vet if they have a humane trap you can borrow so you can catch Slinky? Then the vet will sedate her so her ear can be cleaned up. They will keep her at the vets while she recovers from the sedation (possibly for 24 hrs)

Antibiotics are quite likely to be prescribed. The vet may decide to give an injection of Convenia, rather than oral antibiotics, in the circumstances of Slinky being a feral cat.

Good luck with getting treatment sorted for Slinky. :)

Jaf likes this.
  5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you.

I can’t touch her, she’s very feral. I won’t be able to medicate her, keep her inside or get a collar on her. I can catch her but I’m just not sure the vets will want to treat her, I think it’s a tumour. I dread the thought that they’ll want to PTS, but can’t help wondering if that’s best for her. She’s still eating and though scruffy seems ok. I’m worried that she’s in pain but isn’t some pain better than dead? The best vet doesn’t use Convenia but the other vet does. I’ll take the photos to the vet in the morning, I just wanted to talk it over with you lovely people. Slinky will have the treatment she needs, don’t worry about that.

chillminx and TriTri like this.
  6. TriTri

Maybe the vet could give you some meds to put in Slinky’s food? Is she always about, for you to monitor her?

Mistys Mum and Jaf like this.
  7. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Good luck with the vet @Jaf , I know how much the cats mean to you.

Jaf likes this.
  8. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I’ve never been able to even get her wormed. She’s had 2 plates of food today.

Thank you. I talked to the vet today, showed them pics. He said that antibiotics would help but that it’s palliative measure and that Slinky wouldn’t have long even if I could treat her. I feel rotten. I’m going to catch her, hopefully tomorrow. I need to decide whether to take her to the other vet that does the 2 week antibiotic injection or whether that short extension to her life is not worth the stress it will cause her.

I’m trying to be sensible and make the right decision for her, not me, but it’s horrible.

9. TriTri

Sorry, that’s such rubbish news. It’s so nice you’ve been able to feed her, saving her all the hardship of having to hunt & scavenge for her meals. You’re such a good and kind person @Jaf. They are all so lucky to have you and they all deserve the help you give them. You’ll know what to do xx

10. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

That's an awful decision to have to make but whatever you decide I know it will be in Slinky's interest and not your own.
    Good luck with attempting to catch her tomorrow. Having her confined where you can have a close look at her might help you to come to a decision.
    I'll be thinking of you.

11. TriTri

Getting Slinky into a cat trap may be possible once, but could she be less likely to go into it a second time? Just a thought, sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice