Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Skin allergy

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jano432, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hi folks. Looking for opinions on my cat. Had her almost two years now and about four times, at no particular time of the year, she has scratched her fur off, usually on the face and neck area, twice needing vet treatment. Now the obvious cause is flea allergy. I do not treat her regularly as she doesn't have fleas. Vets and nurses have agreed that she had no fleas. BUT if she had, and this was the cause, wouldn't she have it all the time until flea treatment was given? Trying to rule everything out and hopefully get to the root if the cause.

Thanks

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Have you/the vets ruled out a food allergy ? I know that some cats can be allergic to certain meats and you could try an elimination diet to work out if this is the case @chillminx is probably the best person to give you advice on how to go about this.

3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Cats don’t necessariky have fleas to be allergic to them. I personally would treat monthly with Advocate or Advantage.

4. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

5. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hello. We did discuss food. She only eats gourmet perle and Hill Kimble for her teeth. She will not eat any human food.

6. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

7. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hi. I don't understand how she can have a flea allergy with out having fleas.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As far as I'm aware it only takes one flea bite to spark a reaction in a reactive animal

9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

A flea can still bite the cat or even just land on it to cause a reaction. A good flea treatment is required to stop fleas infesting the cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice