Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sister's dog. Question.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dogloverlou, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Had a rather frantic message from my sister today about her little dog. Last week she had a lump aspirated on her little dog's head that she said had suddenly got bigger. The vet at the time said she was relieved after the aspiration as it released a clear liquid so assumed it was a cyst. The 'official' results came back today and she said there was a lot of bacteria in it and 'inconclusive' results. Ted's white blood cells are being 'eaten' ( my sister's words ). He's been put on a course of AB's for a week to see if that helps. I'm familiar with cysts on Cash from time to time but his have never caused him any issues. I've told my sister to calm down as much as possible and to just wait & see now how the AB's go. But can cysts cause this much aggro? I mean, I understand they can become infected so could that be a possibility here do you think?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If its infected which sounds highly possible if bacteria was found, then that would probably account for the swelling it could even be possible there is an abcess forming, that would certainly cause a pretty rapid swelling and it likely it would also feel hotter or hotter then the surrounding area. An abcess will continue to get bigger and then burst and emit a pus type discharge. Unless the antibiotics do their job in the meantime and stop it. Infection though will cause swelling, and quite often redness and it will feel hotter in the area.

Not sure what she means by white blood cells being eaten, There are different types of white blood cells but their job is fighting infection, so when there is infection present then you usually find the white blood cell count is higher. You can get different conditions though which will cause a low white blood cell count too amongst others there are auto immune conditions where the bodies immune system can get confused and instead of attacking foreign invaders and infections only like it should, the body starts to produce antibodies against itself, can be various things but some types of autoimmune will attack white blood cells. She could have just got it confused though and she means the WBC is high which they would usually be in things like infection.

Dogloverlou likes this.
  3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Thanks SDH. Can always rely on your for a detailed explanation :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I hope the abtibiotics are starting to work and there is improvement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice