Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Single protein food?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jaf, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Hi, can anyone recommend a single protein food that is in gravy or jelly?

Lori is still having toe, ear and tummy problems. Despite ongoing antibiotic treatment she is getting scabby again so I'd like to make sure it's not food related.

Thanks.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Which single protein food do you want for her? i.e. which meat proteins is she allergic to? If you are unsure you need to put her on an exclusion diet for 6 weeks so you can identify them and then choose foods that are guaranteed not to contain her allergens. Beef, fish and chicken are the most common food allergens in cats.

3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Sorry, yes that's what I meant. I'm right at the start of this process so it's the exclusion diet first. I've read your really helpful guides so I think I know what to do, just got to find something she will eat.

I looked at the animonda pure turkey that you've recommended in another thread, but turkey is listed in the gourmet food that she unfortunately loves. I've been looking at the ropocat kangaroo and purrs venison. Or is it the other way around?!? I've become proper confused.

chillminx likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The best way to be sure she's getting only one protein, and the best quality, is to make the food yourself (raw feeding or home cooked). And keep in mind that many cats who show intolerance or allergy to processed proteins have no trouble with them in their raw state.

You also need to consider the other ingredients. Foods that have gravy are usually very gum/thickener and/or grain heavy. These gums, or other starches, could also be causing problems.

But otherwise, I would go with kangaroo or venison if you have that option. Just make a note of the other ingredients, because if there is still a problem with the novel protein, it may be one of those, rather than the protein.

5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks Lorilu. That's my lovely Lori's full name! Well that or Lorilu Lesser Ginge (her sister has more ginger so is Geri Greater Ginge).

Honestly I'm too busy (lazy!) to cook cat food, Lori won't eat raw (I started trying too old I think). I hadn't thought about the sauce, it can be a large part of the food. I'll order either the kangaroo or venison, depending on which I can get delivered to Spain. Hopefully if I add a little warm water to mush it a bit the food will be acceptable.

Lori won't mind being kept in, she loves her room and spends a lot of time in there.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No cat is ever too old to transition to raw. But I'm not pushing raw, it was just part of my general comment.

Let us know which food you get and how he does on it.

I love both cats' family names. They are quite melodic, just the way cats love! x

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

#7 chillminx, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    lorilu likes this.
  8. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks Chillminx, I have been looking at German sites for the bigger 800g cans, but they don't send to Spain. Why?!

Just put an order in with zooplus, it'll be a week. I really hope she does have a food problem, which might sound odd, but then I can help her.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Jaf, how strange that the German sites don't deliver to Spain :confused: I cannot imagine why not? Or is it the 800g cans they won't send?

Very glad you have been able to order from Zooplus UK though. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice