Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Single female cockatiel laid egg today.

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Melody's owner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Melody's owner

Melody's owner PetForums Newbie

My 2 year old cockatiel laid one egg about 4 hours ago. I'd appreciate some advice or insight.
    She sat on it for a bit then rolled it away and left it at the other side of the cage. Shall I expect her to lay any more and if so in what time frame roughly? Do I need to leave the cage well alone for a few days even though it needs cleaning? Any advice will be much appreciated.

2. leashedForLife

I'd give her a shallow bowl for the egg, so it stays put - let her set it for 30-days or more, to her heart's content.
    DO NOT remove the 1st egg - that would only prompt her to lay another swiftly, & calcium loss can quickly lead to egg binding, which can kill her.

Does she have a mirror in her cage, or can she see her mirror image from her cage, in a reflective surface?
    Remove the in-cage mirror, & either move her cage, or drape the mirror / reflective surface, so that she cannot see a reflection of herself; that convinces her she has a mate, & stimulates egg development & laying.

Increasing photoperiod [longer days] stimulate her ovaries to develop & prompt egg-laying annually, so limit her exposure to ARTIFICIAL LIGHT SOURCES - otherwise she may lay year-round, & seriously debilitate or even die. // A light-blocking drape over her cage at 8-pm, not lifted B4 9-am, or cover her at 6-pm & uncover her cage at 6 or 8-am... 12-hours, max; 10-hours daily of light is plenty.
    Try to provide full-spectrum light [Ott lights, grow-bulbs THAT ARE NOT HOT, or similar sunlight-spectrum lights]. // Sun thru a window is *not* full-spectrum, & it can also cook the poor bird! :eek: bright indirect sun is better, preferably via a north-facing window, or if north is unavailable, an east-facing window.
    Avoid WEST-facing windows - the westering sun is incredibly hot, & not healthy.

Does she have a cuttle bone? - if not, get her one, ASAP.
    Hang it with S/S clips on the side of the cage, near her usual perch, so she can conveniently chip or flake off bits of shell, to replenish her own calcium levels.

Be sure to offer her fresh, clean water daily, & clean the water container religiously - hydration is also important to be able to pass an egg safely.
    She may lay 2 to 4 --- LEAVE THEM, or she'll try to replace them, & can quickly get into difficulty by binding or loss of calcium.

After a full month has passed from the date the *last* egg was laid [ mark the calendar! ], it's safe to discard all the eggs.

If she gets egg-bound, see a vet immediately - day or night. Egg binding is a life-threatening emergency, & the faster it is addressed, the safer the treatment is, & the less-likely tragic consequences are. // If U take her in immediately, the vet may be able to super-hydrate her & lubricate the cloaca, so that she can deliver the egg/s herself, & avoid risky GA & surgery.

- terry

Melody's owner likes this.
  3. Melody's owner

Thanks Terry.
    Melody does have mirrors so I will remove them now.
    Her cage does get covered at night, but from what you say, I need to cover her cage earlier in the evenings.
    She does have a cuttle bone and fresh water.
    I'll find a shallow bowl for the egg.
    Can you advise me on cleaning the cage? It's due to be cleaned, but I don't want to cause her any stress. Shall I leave it or go ahead and clean it? I usually let her fly around the room whilst I clean it.
    Thanks for taking the time to help!

4. leashedForLife

Cleaning her cage can go on, as usual - but she may want to stay in the cage, with her egg, rather than fly free.

If U can slide the cage-floor out to remove the liner & replace it, & leave her in the cage proper, that might keep her calmer - if she's free flying, be aware she may fly back INTO the cage as U are cleaning, so I wouldn't use anything toxic, nor any hot water, etc.

I don't know if U submerge / scrub, or spray the cage to get into cervices, or just change the liner for a fresh one, & wipe the perches clean.
    - terry

Melody's owner likes this.
  5. Melody's owner

Thanks.
    I did exactly that; whipped the sandpaper sheets out whilst she was sat on a perch. She didn't bat an eyelid and seems to be content to pop down to the bottom of the cage to sit on the egg for a while then have some time for herself on a perch and so on...
    You advice has been really helpful and is much appreciated. I've had single male cockatiels before, but Melody is my first female.
    Thanks again for your time :)

leashedForLife likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice