Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Simba's ears

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by egyptianreggae, Sep 29, 2014.

1. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

I feel terrible... :(

A week ago, I went away for the weekend, and when I returned I could tell there was something pretty wrong with Simba's ears. They were clearly very itchy and uncomfortable. He's had ear problems before. So on Thursday, I took him to the vet, and it turns out that he has a fungal ear infection. The vet gave us ear cleaner and Surolan to apply twice a day.

Then on Saturday, I went on a week's holiday, leaving him with my flatmate, who continued the treatment, although he found it pretty difficult and upsetting to do- Simba hates having his ears dealt with at the best of times, and gets very upset, hisses, growls and mews. He also gets upset when I leave him. My flatmate took him back to the vet today and his ears are still very waxy, he now needs treating four times a day. My flatmate is really cross with me for going on holiday. I can't come home before Saturday and I just feel so upset that Ive left them both while things are so difficult. He has another vet appointment next Monday, when I'm back. Simba won't go near my flatmate and hides most of the time now. Can anyone suggest anything to make it easier? He's putting the drops in but isn't managing to remove any wax because Simba just won't allow it. I don't know what to do.

2. Ragdollsfriend

Ragdollsfriend PetForums VIP

Well I'm in a bit similar situation, my Daisy has ear infection and we went through some ups and downs. We need to put Surolan in her right ear twice a day. Well I had to put her on Zylkene to calm down and let us attend to her ears.
    Have you heard of Zylkene or used or before?

3. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Sorry to hear about Simba, It must be so difficult for you not being there with him... I don't have any useful advice I'm afraid just wanted to say I'm sure he will forgive you, sounds like you need to get your flatmate a really nice present!! x

4. egyptianreggae

Thank you, I'm sorry to hear that Daisy has the same thing. Does the Zylkene help? I had heard of it but it didn't occur to me to use it, it would be great if it calmed him down a bit!

5. egyptianreggae

Thank you :) I can't wait to get home and give him a cuddle. Just hope my flatmate forgives me too! I'll have to cuddle him too ;)

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi ER, how nice to hear from you, but very sorry that poor Simba is having this problem with his ears, and whilst you are away from home too. Awkward for you. :(

Treating a cat's ears is often a two person job at the best of times, so I sympathise with your flatmate's predicament. I suggest rather than him continuing to struggle with Simba on his own, either pop into the vet with him every day and get one of the vet nurses to do the ear drops, or if that is too inconvenient ask the surgery if one of the nurses could call in on her/his way home every evening after work to do the drops. I have found the nurses are often very obliging in this regard, if the cat is a regular patient and the circumstances are difficult, i.e. as in this case you are away from home.

The nurse would need paying for her/his time, but I would feel it was worth it in the circs. I am sure it would not cost a great deal just for the 5 days until you get home, and would give you peace of mind. :)

p.s. would love an update sometime on how your 2 boys are adapting to their new life.:) Do they go outdoors now?

7. Ragdollsfriend

So I'm on hols with my mum and my hubby is dealing with Daisy and her tiny ear. Just a single pair of hands. Yes Zylkene helps in our case. Well I also tried to touch her ear and rub it gently even when we didn't have to put the drops in, just to make sure our cat knows that we don't always do that "nasty" thing when we touch her ears :) She seems OK with the treatment but will need to wait until Monday for the check up with our vet.

Hope Simba gets well soon!

8. egyptianreggae

Thank you, Chillminx, it's lovely to hear from you too :) that's a really good idea about the vet nurses- I will suggest it to him. I had to treat his ears and Tiny's ears when i first brought them home- they'd caught ear mites in the rescue centre- and it was no fun at all. (I still have a scar from the first time I had to put Tiny in a cat basket!)

Apart from this recent ear horror, they are doing very well- they're a lot hungrier than before, which I'm putting down to burning calories going up and down the stairs for the first time! Simba was a little overweight before but he's now a perfect weight- a previous vet called his build "an ideal example of a 4kg cat." Tiny is enjoying playing with their new catmate Vlastelin, they chase each other around a lot. They are both having limited supervised garden access, I don't think I will ever let them out unsupervised, but they love going out. Simba chased his first butterfly this summer and came in with dandelion clock seeds in his whiskers. Tiny was unsure at first and was frightened to walk on the grass (walking very slowly and carefully, as if he was on the moon) but now he's much more confident. Can't wait to get home and sort Simba's ears out now! How are things with you?

9. Ragdollsfriend

Hi how is Simba doing? Hope you got back home and everything is - or soon will be - just great and the ears are going to heal in no time. Please let us know :)

10. egyptianreggae

Thank you :) He is doing ok, he went back to the vet on Monday and his ears were a lot better and he was more comfortable. He will continue treatment till Monday, when he has anothe checkup, and hopefully he'll be completely better then. His relationship with my flatmate has suffered though- he won't let him stroke him and runs away and hides whenever he comes anywhere near him. My flatmate is also covered in scratches. I'll be back tomorrow though to make a big fuss of him and give him lots of treats. I'll also make a fuss of Simba ;) how's Daisy getting on? Hope her ears are feeling a lot better.

11. Ragdollsfriend

So happy to hear Simba's ears are almost back to normal and progress has been so good! I hope with time your kitty will forgive your flatmate :D Though some treats may be needed as peace offering :wink:

I'm still on hols with my mum and going back home tomorrow. I've been receiving daily reports from hubby via Skype to see Daisy hehe. Check up booked for Monday.

12. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

I'm sure Simba will eventually forgive and forget nasty, medicine giving flatmate ... He doesn't look like a cat that holds a grudge!!!!

Give him lots of fuss and attention when you get back x

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi ER, pleased to hear Simba's ears are improving:thumbup1: That is good news:) Sorry your flatmate had a struggle with him. My OH seems to struggle too if he has to administer medicine or even to groom my longhaired cat, when I am away, bless him.

I am fine btw, thank you for asking ;):)

14. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi ER so sorry that your cat and flat mate are having a difficult time! I agree with Chillminx it's a two person job with treatment like this. I don't think Zylkene will do much in this situationand it would take a couple of days at least for it to have any effect on the cat anyway by which time you will be home? X

15. egyptianreggae

Just got back from the vet with Fungus the Bogeycat and it's good news, his ears are much cleaner and the vet was a lot happier with him! He, sadly, wasn't as happy with the vet, he's learned to recognise an otoscope at sixteen paces but he behaved himself beautifully and I was very proud of him. She took a swab to check that the fungus has really gone and we'll have the result in three days, but hopefully he won't have to go back again now. As a side note, I'm so glad I've got pet insurance, couldn't believe how expensive the whole earscapade was, I think the final bill will be over £200. He is now curled up against me purring with relief! :)

16. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

I bet your flat mate is purring with relief that you're back as well!!!! Glad Simba is on the mend :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice