Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Silly question ...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PembrokeMadhouse, May 7, 2010.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Is 6 old for a Border Collie? In the last couple of weeks Meg has been not quite right, nothing specific, just not right ... not bouncy, yet still runs around like a loony when a ball/frisbee/throw thing is produced ... she seems to hesitate on going up steps, in the mornings after 8 hours in her bed you'd have thought she would be up and out waggy tail but no, its a yawn, and a lean on me for a cuddle.

She is eating fine and everything else fine ... I just wonder if her joints might be giving up on her or something and if so, what can I give her .

Got the vet coming next week so will talk to him then x

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I've no idea what the average age or anything is, but my last dog was a collie and was almost 20 when she went.

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

6 is definately not old for a BC. An examination by the vet would be best.

4. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

No 6 isn't old at all...but I must say even maggie cant be bothered to get up most mornings and she is only 13 months old!!!! lol :rolleyes: she makes up for it later on in the day though!

But if you are noticing hesitating when going up steps, def get her fully checked over by the vet....hope it is nothing. :)

5. PembrokeMadhouse

I didn't think it was old ... but I know every breed is different. She is due a booster next week so I will talk to the vet then.

Thanks guys x

6. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

No!! My collie is 18!! :D She still runs about down our stable yard and loves tennis balls etc

7. PembrokeMadhouse

Been to the vets today .... she has put Meg on Metacam for a week or two to see if that improves her stiffness... If it does then she recommends glucosamin/chondritin (any ideas where to get this from cheaply?) ... so we will wait and see if this improves her "hesitation" to get up and go up stairs.

C x

8. PembrokeMadhouse

Well I decided to give Meg the metacam once every 2 days and not every day and funnily enough I have a different dog ... she is more bouncy and with it .... so looks like she was suffering - that will be the next stage now finding out what it was ... don't want her on metacam though so wil have to look in to gucosamine/chondritn now ...

Any cues where I can get this from on line - cheap of course

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice