Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Silly question, maybe?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

In the winter, I tend to close over my shutter doors over the wire in the Bunny Shed and keep it closed all winter. I have a trap door that goes into the run from shed. In winter I keep it closed unless I open it for a few hours then I have it closed in the winter.
    Do you guys keep the run open as much in the winter as in the summer? I worry it is too cold. I keep the 1/2 and 1/2 shed door closed all the time in the winter too. Am I being over-cautious?
    Jacqui

2. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Well, as well as piling in the hay, we adjust the weatherproofing according to the weather, but overall, we cover top and 3 sides of runs with tarpaulins, and drop solar beach mats down on the front of the enclosure, leaving a bit of ventilation. Fronts of hutches are protected by clear plastic covers, that we drop down at night and in the worst of the weather, and drape over when it rains to keep hutches dry.

Unless the weather is horrific, all rabbits can still see out.

Most rabbits are far tougher than we think they are - elderly, young and poorly excepted.

3. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

my buns always have access to their runs 24/7, snow or sun

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I have a tarp on top and 1/2 way down the sides of my run in summer it covers 1/3 of the length and in winter 2/3s.

They have access to the run 24/7 apart from when I have rats in the garage in the worst of winter because its a metal trixie run the rats will get through this and I really dont want them upsetting the buns.

This will be Lotties first outside winter with me and I'm quiet worried about her, she is already molting which is a good sign her systems working. They will get plenty of hay and probably a box/banana box bed with vetbed.

I'll pop a snuggle safe in if things get really bad. There is talk of this being a very very bad winter so I'm making sure I've got plenty of everything in stock just incase.

5. Cruella De Vil

My friends rabbits, and most the folks I know who have them, don't put the, out in the winter, too cold. My auntie has rabbits, she says its way too cold to be out and rabbits don't like cold, rain or getting wet, so they either stay in the playhouse in the shed ( she wont use hutches says their tool cold as nearly all of them are wire), or are bought in the kitchen for a while for change of senery. Unless it massively goes warm again they won't be going back in the garden loose until next spring.

6. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Our indoor rabbits stay inside - our outside rabbits stay outside - temperature swings aren't at all healthy for rabbits, which is why it is advised not to bring them in and out.

With the right coat, they cope very well with cold weather - better than they do with weather that is excessively hot.

Our outdoor rabbits stay outside all year, and do very well. All housing is on concrete and fully weatherproofed, so the rabbits never get wet. Nor do they get cold. They have hutches within their housing to snuggle in, masses of hay, straw too in the worst weather, and fleecy blankets and Snugglesafes if it gets really cold.

We monitor the temperature within the enclosure, and it is actually several degrees above the outside temperature. This is becasue we use solar backed beach mats to insulate them.

Of course, we would never leave a poorly or elderly rabbit outside; and if a rabbit had to come in for some reasn, they stay in for the rest of the winter.

7. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm afraid your auntie has it messed up, it is the heat that buns struggle with not the cold.. If they have a warm, dry place to retreat to then they cope fine and dandy in our winters.

Taking them in and out will actually cause more harm than leaving them out in their hutches.
    She may be getting mixed up too as outdoor hutches will be made of wood, whereas some indoor cages (which aren't big enough at any rate) will be made mostly of wire :confused:

8. Lopside

Lopside PetForums VIP

geee Cruella, all the people you know who have rabbits sure do things that go against all welfare advice!
    Buns cope well with cold, as long as they have a dry hutch/enclosure that is full of straw bedding to keep out the draughts. My lot have just finished a moult and you can feel the difference in their coats, its much thicker and coarser now. I wouldn't recommend bringing an outdoor rabbit in to a heated house, as the change in temperature would not do them any good. Imagine putting a fur coat , hat and gloves on & then sitting in a centrally heated room.....unpleasant. :001_rolleyes:

9. Cruella De Vil

Well I suppose when you put iti like that, it isn't right. I don't know much about rabbits, and my auntie is doing what my grandfather used to do years ago (he bred rex's and chinchilla grey rabbits) , so she's following whatshe was learnt. As most of the people I know are around her age they proberbly most do the same. Maybes that's not right any more, I wouldn't know, I only posted on this thread as it felt a bit cheeky to ask questions but not contribute to anytng else an I don't have anything myself to talk about:eek:

10. Lopside

Lopside PetForums VIP

all you can do is read and learn. But bear in mind if the advice you are giving out is opposite to everyone else's then you are probably giving out the wrong advice, which could be potentially harmful to the OP's rabbits if it is wrong or outdated.

11. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Rabbit care, like rabbit vet care, has changed massively over the years - I can't imagine keeping the rabbits the way we kept and fed them years ago. Our accommodation was big by the standard at the time - but still far too small by today's standards. It can be very hard to educate those people who are fixed in the old ways and think they know best though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice