Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Silly question - can a dog get it's tongue stuck in a kong?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lizz1155, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

I was reading around on another dog forum and found a poster who suggested that the small hole in the top of kongs was to prevent the dog accidentally creating a vacuum seal through over zealous licking, thus getting it's tongue sealed into the kong :confused:. The suggestion was that when you are stuffing kongs you should put a pencil down through the middle so that the small hole remains open, and stuff around the pencil.

To be honest I don't see how a dog could reasonably get it's tongue lodged in a kong via a vacuum effect, even if the small hole is closed over. It seems that at minimum it would require a small kong and a dog with a large tongue (i.e the wrong size kong). But even then, since dog's don't breathe through their mouths when they're eating it seems unlikely that a vacuum will occur via inhalation (in the same way that a human can stick a mug to their face if they inhale with it over their mouth). The only other option is that the vacuum is crated via very forceful licking, which seems a bit unfeasible?

Has anyone actually witnessed a dog get it's tongue stuck in a kong through accidentally creating a vacuum?

For what it's worth, I always assumed the small hole in a kong was for easy-cleaning.

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I've heard of it happening. This is why I always make sure toys like rubber balls and kongs have two holes in both ends. One dog had to have his tongue amputated, ouch! But if the kong has two holes in there it shouldn't have to have a pencil there to keep it open.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

You shouldn't block the small hole at the end - all the time this hole is clear than the dog should be fine.

So don't stuff it to solidly or fill the end with something so you can fill it with liquid to freeze if you are worried.

4. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

It's tongue was amputated for getting stuck in a kong??

Could they not cut the kong??

5. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I don't know the ins and outs but yes I've heard of amputations. I don't understand why either.

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I've heard of it happening with the plastic treat balls, I think one dog in particular was alone and the tongue when stuck started to swell up inside the ball :(

7. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Just make sure the small hole isn't blocked so it stops a possible suction sensation.

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Problems arise when the tongue swells up and affects blood flow meaning that the tongue dies.:( Thats when they have to amputate.
    I do remember a few dogs getting their tongues stuck in a brand of rubber ball a while ago...I think they stopped making them.

9. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Oh yeah I suppose, didn't think about swelling and blood supply :(

How horrible! Thankfully my lot have never ever had a problem like that. Runa has the bone kong which looks very safe as it's shaped like a star.

I have also brought the kong genius which looks really good too :) they are just to useful to give up on ><

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice