Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Silly question - bulk buying dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lizz1155, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

Typically if you buy a 15kg bag of dog food online, is it really one massive bag which turns up rather than say, a number of smaller ones? And if it is one massive bag, how do you then move it from wherever the delivery driver has dropped it off to the location in your house where you store dog food? And could the food go off if the bag is open but not eaten quickly enough?

I'm looking at trying the pup on Skinner's Duck and Rice, (currently on Markus Muehle but it's not perfect for him) however as far as I can tell Skinners either comes in 15kg bags :eek: or 2.5kg bags (but you pay double the price, weight-for-weight).

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Most are likely to be one big bag - and Skinners certainly is

A 15kg bag now does Maisie 100 days :eek: - I have a huge air-tight container upstairs that I pour the bag into when I open it

I then had a smaller tub that I fill and keep downstairs to use on a daily basis - this lasts around 3 weeks (ish)

This way, I'm not having to open the air-tight container upstairs too often

I do the same with the cats food (although have several smaller air-tight containers for their food) as buying a 10kg bag for £33 is a LOT cheaper than buying it in 2kg bags at £17 a throw!:eek:

The 10kg bag does them 5 months & I've never had any problems with it going off / soft etc

HTH

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hi - yes, if you order a 15kg it will be in one large bag. The bag isn't massive, though, I can manage to carry it and I'm not very big. I think some manufacturers recommend using the bag within a few months, but if you keep the bag sealed up in an airtight storage container, it should last OK.

I personally buy smaller bags because I mix a bit of kibble with wet food so wouldn't get through a 15kg before it went stale.

4. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

if you can't lift it you may want to invest in a sack barrow would make it much easier and some fold down so wouldn't take up much space.

5. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

They aren't that heavy, but I have 3 horses as well so used to bags that size:D
    I would try a small bag, if your happy with it, work out how long it would take you to use 15kg, if its worth it, buy a air tight bin and either tip it in or leave in its bag but clip the open part shut after you get your meal out:thumbup1:

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I used to order 6 x 15k sacks at a time in order to get a good discount. I put all except the one I was using in the garage, then brough them out in turn. All was well until winter came I noticed a hole chewed in one of the sacks in the garage, then another. I had to get the council rat-man in, and the rat had also damaged other stored non-food stuff including what had been a good mattress. After that, I kept spare bage in the house - corner of the kitchen, a couple in the spare room etc. It was an expensive lesson.

7. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

15kg isn't massively awkward to move - my 13 year old can lift it, lol

8. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

It will be normally be one big 15kg bag. They aren't too big though and I can manage to move it (I have scoliosis so can struggle to lift/carry heavy things).

I store Eddie's 15kg bag in an air tight storage container, to be exact this one: Pet Food Storage Container by Curver (Holds 20kg) by Curver | Pets at Home which is airtight, has wheels to move, a scoop and two ways of opening. I find this easier to move around the house/room and keeps the food fresh.

A 15kg bag roughly lasts him 6 months and is good for that time by doing it this way.

Hope it helps :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice