Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Silly Question About 2nd Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bexy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

We're thinking of expanding our family and getting another boxer:D

Been giving it careful consideration and weighing it all up but with our wee Trigger being the sociable little thing he is I know an addition would enhance his life.

The only stumbling block is i'm worried that Trigger being my first born, so to speak, would be my fav and there is no way I could possibly love another dog just quite as much as I love him:eek:

I know this prob a stupid question but did you just immediately love your 2nd dog as much as your first, I would hate to have favourites:confused:

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have always had a special dog but doesnt mean I dont love the other one. It could be the second dog becomes the special one but for me there is always one, same with the horses. I only had one child so cant say if it would have been true for children as well.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

It's just like having more kids - there isn't a finite amount of love in your heart, your new dog will have plenty of love sent their way and it won't take any away from Trigger

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I love my two equally for different parts of their personality.
    A friend used to say to me, yeah but if you had to chose 1, but I couldnt do it.It would be impossible.
    Willow is my big girl, the one I train most and have had her from a pup we have a super bond.
    Percy is my little man, he loves me more than anything on this earth and I adore him too.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

No I didnt love Bella at first, just as when I got Henrick he wasnt as good as Chance who had recently gone to rainbow bridge, however within a couple of weeks their little personality traits start to appear and thats when the love starts, I can honestly say now that I love them the same.

6. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Thanks for your replies, all makes sense. Did think people who worried about loving their 2nd child less were mental and now look at me:eek:

Think what makes me worry is that the 2nd dog won't be a 8 week old pup, the boy we're going to see is 10 months old and will take some time to get to know his characteristics and traits but he does sound lovely and different from Trigger which will prob make it easier.

It is all very dependant on how they get on, want whats best for Trigger and the other dog.

The Dogsmother love the pic of your 2 - the thought of the 2 of them cuddling up after a lovely long walk seems bliss:)

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Best of luck when you go and see the other dog.
    Take your time, introduce them and if possible have a few visits and walks before you decide what best.

8. wynnpot

wynnpot PetForums Junior

I often wonder the same thing, but I think to strengthen a bond between you and your new dog - if possible, take him to training classes and have a few walks just 1-2-1 without Trigger so you can get to know and love him as a separate dog and not so much as Tiggers playmate :)

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I like my 2nd dog more than the first :eek: but i love them both.

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I love all my dogs dearly, but the first of the current pack, Alfie the Westie, has my heart. It doesn't mean I love any of the others any less, but Alfie is my special little man.

Love isn't limited, there is enough for everybody (dog or otherwise!) you'd ever choose to love :D

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Toby was my first dog & I love him to bits. When Roxy came to live with us I worried that I couldn't love her as much as Toby. It wasn't instant love at first sight as it was with Toby & he is still my special boy but I have been careful not to favour him over her & give them equal attention & affection.

Roxy has been hard work but despite all her problems I love her to bits & as she has settled in (she has been with us since Nov) she has shown what a lovely girl she is.

12. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

We got rolo at 9 weeks, he is now 8 months, so had him 6 months this week, two months ago we got his 9 month old half sister (she is now 11months), and i can honestly say i love them both to bits, they are slightly different and i love their differences it is what makes them easy to love and not compare them to each other.

I like Ruby the first time I met her and within a couple of weeks i felt like i could see some of her personality really coming through and we were relaxing into the two dog dynamics and really began to love her too.

I think it is like your children, you can love them both, without not loving them there will be certain things about each child that you really like or dislike and it is what makes you love them individually and it seems to be the same with my pups.

Ruby was 9 months and it did feel different to getting a tiny wee pup, but it had no effect on me loving her, if anything it was a little easier cos we didnt have to go through all of the puppy nipping and managing that behaviour.

If you think the dog fits and seems okay on a meeting with your dog then go for it, it is certainly the best thing we have done, we love them, they love each other and the pleasure we get from that is priceless.

#12 Rolosmum, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  13. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Wynnpot good advice, a wee bit of one on one would definitely help would just need to make sure wee Triggs didn't find out about it:eek:

Rolosmum thats why we want a wee bit older pup, we took 6 weeks off work when we got Trigger to settle him in. The idea of getting a toilet trained, well mannered older pup really appeals!

I know I will love him, already falling for him after speaking via email and phone with the current owners, just think after reading posts it will take time to get upto Trigger level!

Anyway here is a wee pic of the wee man :001_wub: Providing all goes well when we see him he will probably join us:)

[​IMG]

14. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I have a real soft spot for boxers (and bulldogs), my husbands auntie keeps boxers (only one currently) and has bred them in the past, they are a bit to big for us but they are gorgeous and your potental newbie looks lovely.

I really hope all works out, there is more than enough love to go round and you get a million times back!

15. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Oooooooo more Boxers :) I was thinking the same thing, I love Dora and i genuinely dont think i could love another dog as much as she will always be my baby,

Hope all goes well and if you want a sitter i will have them both :)

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes. How can anyone not love a sweet little puppy? If you are thinking of perhaps an older dog, or rescue, then I cannot answer your question, but I love both of them dearly though in different ways I think. Ferdie is more stubborn and independent when out, but he is extremely clingy when at home. Joshua still looks like a giant puppy at two and half, but because of his arthritis and his little fears of things, I tend to feel more protective toward him.

I think all dogs should live in pairs; they are much happier that way, unless you have one who really does not like other dogs.

17. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Excellent H0lly and here was us thinking all holidays were now cancelled with 2 dogs:D

I like your thinking Newfiesmum, Trigger was definitely born to be with other dogs - he is the most sociable wee thing you could meet and adores all dogs - in a way it seems cruel to let him be an only child:D and also for me the more dogs the better:)

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its always brilliant seeing your dogs playing together, esp if they are the same breed and can really understand each others play styles.;)

Although I didnt really love any of mine when I first got them, I always panicked and felt Id made a horrible mistake for the first couple of months.:eek: I love all of mine but my second Hannah is my heart dog (since getting her I totally understand that expression!).
    I love all of mine in different ways. Adam is my best mate, hannah my perfect middle child and Heidi my little baby...:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice