Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Silly pup buyers...

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Devil-Dogz, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Last year we had someone waiting on our list for a HL female pupster to show - she wanted one from our Fizzi litter (the litter that went wrong, and left one surving pup) :( She was a lovely lady, has shown other breeds, liked our dogs, wanted a breeder that health tested and was travelling a fair way to meet us and then puppies ect! Anyways it resulted in her not getting a pup as only one pup and it was a male, she wanted to stay on the list as timing wasnt of an importance a well bred, health tested pup from the right breeder was.

To cut a long story short - Remember I posted on here not that long ago about that breeder advertising 'rare' coloured cresties, she advertised on here for a stud then contacted us (who hold no dogs at stud) :rolleyes:
    well this lady only went and brought one of these rare, over charged puppies.. That are not rare, from two pet dogs, showing no potential of making it as a good show dog ... :eek: .. This breeder had the whole crestie world up in arms with her unethical'ness & to top it off someone that mum spent hours talking to, trying to educate (even though she seemed clued up herself) - supported this 'breeder'.
    If she had just come back to us, we could have guided her to someone worthy of supporting..
    Makes me so mad, what a waste of time spent giving advice! :mad:

#1 Devil-Dogz, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

People always have free will to do what they wish ... This type of thing happens all the time in rescue :rolleyes:

3. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Oh tell me about it - we work with rescue to, including our breed rescue! Some people are not fit to buy pups, its even worse when they know what to support, yet choose not to.

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Guess you can but try, it will get through to some people :)

5. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I had an email from a lady a couple of weeks ago asking about our current litter of pups. She said in her email that we had been recommended to her as a reputable breeder and was interested to hear about our litter then gave her phone number. I rang her up and was told that it was someone from here that had recommended us.

I gave all the details and said that as we're keeping one ourselves wouldn't be able to allocate puppies until we'd made our decision or at least narrowed it down. She asked if I could keep in touch so a week later I rang back only to find out that she'd gone out and bought a shih x bichon :confused:

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i remember DD, i cannot understand anyone who had done their homework could buy a pup from someone like that! i wonder if shes going to show it:cool:

7. Oh is it that one DD?

That would have pee'd me off.

8. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

been there , done it!! a friend wanted a westie put them on to someone reputable , no they went and bought one from the local puppy farmer cos it was £200 cheaper and now it has skin problems!!

9. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Just annoys me, of course we couldnt give her what she wanted, and she has every right to go else where - but she could have took on board all the stuff she herself said should not be supported :rolleyes:

Seems most breeders have been here some point or the other!

10. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Been there as a breeder and through answering enquiries related to Lab Health visitors - the "oh it will never happen to me" and "I only want a pet", or "I can get one down the road with more red in the pedigree for half the price" (and no health tests!!).

On my last litter, I had a woman DESPERATE for a chocolate show bitch - I explained over and over that as I was still a relatively new breeder, I would feel more confortable directing her to breeders who had a proven track record in producing dogs for the showring (particularly when it comes to chocolates) - but nope she wanted one of MY pups to the extent she was almost initially harrassing me (in fairness, the sire was a cracker and had given me a good litter) and mum had done well for me in the showring - she just lacked some substance to compete at higher levels. I said I would contact her again if I felt there were any pups with show potential.

As it happens, there was a cracking chocolate bitch in the litter with show potential - the only reason I didn't opt to keep her is I had been waiting a long time for a black bitch - and my OH was already confused with 4 choccies in the house :rolleyes::

I emailed her and rang her - no response for about two weeks - so kept trying - her husband had bought her an UNREGISTERED chocolate bitch pup - they were now trying to get her registration sorted - this was someone with tens of years experience in the showring with other breeds :(

As I've said so many times, you can lead a horse to water......................

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it DD - people's heads get turned by puppies, and sometimes the only way they will learn is through a bad experience - it's frustrating but a sad fact of being a breeder :(

#10 swarthy, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  11. How annoying!

Something similar happened to me last week, without even knowing it.

I went to ring craft only to be pulled by a lovely lady who said I was the reason she had a sheltie (small 14 week old pup) and she loved how my dogs were health tested, how much of a nice person I was and so on....

When I asked where she had got it from.....a breeder who does not health test (not even eye test). Why? Because she said the end of this year was to long to wait for a puppy. :(

I have contacts on my website to good breeders who health test. But...alas you cant win them all.

12. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Some people will always think they know better sadly.

There's a person at training determind to breed their min schanuzer girl but she is the size of a schnauzer! Not the nicest example of the breeder either . They want to get another one to breed from and show aswell so I offered to talk to people at shows to help them find a good breeder etc. Advised them on health testing their own girls aswell but no they know better :rolleyes:: Really does get to a point where you wonder whats the point is in trying to help people.

13. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

The thing is now any one can go on line to search a subject, then think they know everything they need to know...... but there is never enough written to beat finding some one with that real life knowledge and experience especially in breeding.... looking for the best tent fine the best pup:nono:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice