Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Significant weight loss towards pregnancy end

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by shania kahn, Dec 10, 2020.

1. shania kahn

shania kahn PetForums Newbie

Hi, All.

I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to explain a bitch losing size as progresses or nears end ?

Context: bitch is in her 8th week of pregnancy.
    She is generally a fussy eater but getting her to eat during pregnancy has been a nightmare!
    Her appetite picked up during week 6.
    Her size has been steadily increasing throughout the pregnancy.
    By the beginning of week 7, she looked huge and I was beginning to think the sonographer had gotten numbers wrong and that the bitch must be carrying a lot more than the predicted 5.

However, It seems as if over night our bitch has just lost significant size and I can just about see her pre-pregnancy abdominal tuck. Her milkers are still very visible and hanging low though– more saggy than full and rounded as they were in previous weeks.

Despite my efforts, she is currently not eating much at all– only a very small amount of hand-fed chicken.

I've done some research online and I've come up with 2 possibilities to this sudden weight-loss. I'm interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar or if there is any advice anyone can offer.

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

She could have reabsorbed them earlier in the pregnancy but whatever it is you should be getting her checked over by your vet asap.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Maybe the puppies have moved down ready to be born which would change her shape.

shania kahn likes this.
  4. shania kahn

Thanks for replying and for the advice. We were unable to get her seen by a vet, but fortunately were able able to speak to one. He suggested bringing her in to the ev if she develops any further symptoms but otherwise said it was safe to wait it out.

5. shania kahn

Thank you. This is what the vet said is most likely going on.

Blitz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice