Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Signed off Sick

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Milly22, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

When you are signed off work how long before it starts to look bad ?

I had a small problem with medication making my heart race so have been taken off them, which has left me quite unwell. I cannot sleep or go out, which is not great.

I also have anxiety attacks, I know they are silly but I cannot make them go. i.e. children playing in garden and I just had a very bad feeling about them getting run over, so I had to bring them in. I know I should trust them not to go out onto the road and be carefree like other parents seem to be but I cannot.

I was signed off last week for 2 weeks, this being the 2nd week after a visit to hospital (heart racing) but the thought of going in next week makes me feel nervous. Gp on hols until 27th August.

Ummm now I have forgot what i was starting the thread for. Oh yes, do you think one more week would look very very bad ?

Please be truthful. Thanks. :)

#1 Milly22, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

If you're signed off then as I understand it you need to see a doc before you can go back into work, in which case you should see the locum for either a new sick note or to be signed off as fit for work. Either way think you have to see the doc

3. debbie1981

debbie1981 PetForums Senior

I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety for over ten years and its not a nice thing at all.

The medication usually takes 3 weeks to kick in, so i think you will be off longer hun x

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

OH has been off for the past 2 weeks with his back. Both weeks he had to self cert (he was going to get a sick note but as he had gone back to work he's had to self cert again). This morning my mother dropped in a doctors note to his place of work that lasts for 2 weeks.

It depends on your place of work but I think 2 weeks and then people start to get p*****d off.

Feel better soon, anxiety is horrible to deal with :(

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I was signed off for 3 months last year. It was awkward going back but if the doctor didnt signed you off then its for a good reason.

Dont worry about what others think, Think of yourself x

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Also when I had a break down after my brother's murder my regular GP was away but there was another GP there...I think she was a stand in or something and she was able to give me a doctors note :)

7. debbie1981

debbie1981 PetForums Senior

U should definately not be worrying what work think. If you go back too soon, u will end up worse. It happened to me

8. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I really depends on your employer I think.

DH was signed off work by a doctor for 3 weeks for a middle ear infection. He kept trying to go back to work but was sent home due to health and safety (he was deaf in the ear and worked near fork lifts). Even though he was signed off work they still gave him the push because of the amount of time he had off sick.

My mother has been experiencing medical problems with her abdomen she was signed off work for over 3 weeks with hospital stays and appointments. Her work sent her a huge bunch of flowers and told her not to hurry back to work, just get better first.

9. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

hi hope you feel better soon .. panic attacks are not nice :( youneed thetime off so try to worry about work , its bettrer to have you back fit and well . than to go back to work to early and need even more time off:D
    heres a big hug just for you ((((HUG))))
    julie xx

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I wish I worked where your mother works! :eek:

I was ill around Christmas time with gastric flu and tonsilitis. When I went back I was accused of going to nightclubs! :mad:

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Most employers don't think like that though and then they get even more angry when the person has to go back off :rolleyes:

I don't know know what the criteria is for managers/personnel these days but I think they have to be loopy :eek:ut: :001_tt2:

12. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I was off for 10 weeks last Sept following knee surgery after a skiing accident (had 6 or 8 weeks off after the accident too in Jan).......

I could walk/drive etc painfree after about 6 weeks, but couldn't go back as I couldn't kneel down at all, took the extra 4 weeks for that to get better.....I felt as though people thought I should be back as I appeared 'normal' but I need to be able to kneel down, for potentially quite a whille at a time, for my job, so I gave up caring about what anyone else thought and went back when I was ready and fit for work.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks - only you know how you feel, don't go back until you are ready!

13. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies.

My boss lady was very nice when I told her the situation last week and said she was sorry about the time I was having and would call me in the next 2 weeks.

That might have been nice, if I answered the phone. :D :rolleyes:

I am actually annoyed with myself as I thought I had beaten the anxiety thing but it was really just pills masking it. I love my job but it is super stressful but I am supposed to be starting my SVQ 4/5 this month too. I am on Prozac which do help, they don't take away the anxiety though, they make me hyperactive.

I may google meditation.

14. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

My mother worked for one firm where when she was ill at home someone swore blind they saw her going for an interview!

I know she was home all day as that day I had to take our dog to the vet. How this person supposedly saw her and knew that she was going fo an interview is beyond me

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You shouldn't be annoyed with yourself for having a medical condition! Anxiety is a condition :yesnod: My sister is agoraphobic and has been for the last 6 years. I can count the number of times she's been out of the house in those 6 years on one hand!

She is disgusted with herself but it is not her fault! And neither is it yours. Have you tried seeing a cognitive therapist?

16. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Have you looked into other ways of helping anxiety?

Relaxation techniques, herbal stuff, maybe diet - I don't know much really about any of them but may be worth doing some google research. (and I am in no way suggesting that they shoud replace medication prescribed by your GP unless the GP is happy with it)

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

:nonod: It disgusts me.

They also said I had been seen meeting my OH from work (he works in the same place as I did). The only thing I did that was get a taxi from my house to my mother's and back because I didn't want to be alone whilst I was sick.

And if I was faking I definitely wouldn't go anywhere near my place of work :rolleyes:

18. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I have asked about this but our Gps seem very reluctant to offer it. Perhaps after me seeing the Phsyciatrict Nurse in Hospital they may offer it to me. I should have answered the phone to her yesterday to be honest.

Yes, I am looking into meditation. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) which basically means you are anxious about everything!!

I swore I would not watch big brother but I did and I wish I could be nice and chilled like Bea or Halfwit.

I am not mad by the way, just anxious and possibly a bit paranoid people think I am mad. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice