UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduce law to add bittering agents to antifreeze to save life.

Target: David Cameron and the government of the UK
Sponsored by: Sarah Waldock

Some kinds of antifreeze using ethylene glycol taste sweet and can be attractive to animals - and small children. Deaths occur every year from acute kidney failure caused by accidental poisoning through careless use of antifreeze and many screen washes, left in puddles or open containers; and moreover some sick individuals use this as a means to kill neighbours' pets in a horrible fashion. By adding a bittering agent, the taste will no longer be attractive.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/316/...-bittering-agents-to-antifreeze-to-save-life/

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
Ahh yes, the season for Anti-Freeze is upon us.:(
I have signed several of these petitions in the past and posted them on here, but it seems there is a lack of co-ordination between the various groups campaigning for this.
I see you mention screenwash....good....as I even found myself liberally using anti-freeze spray on my iced windscreen last year..the resulting slush being scraped off onto the ground where of course it can be accessed by cats and dogs.:mad: A bit more time with the car's heater blowing and a little more elbow grease achieves the same end much more safely.;)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I've signed! :)
I've noticed that Antifreeze is not so readily available in shops this year, and my bottle of Screenwash says that it contains a Bittering Agent :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I have signed several of these petitions in the past and posted them on here, but it seems there is a lack of co-ordination between the various groups campaigning for this.
Totally agree! Signed quite a few by now but unless they are working together to pool signatures they won't stand a chance of ever changing anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Signed for the cats. I too noticed that the last bottle of screen wash has bittering agent, so there might be hope...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.