Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

*sigh* sorry not cat related

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Chippers, May 19, 2017.

1. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

So I don't know how many saw my thread about my new horse I bought 3 months ago, everything has been going well and he's been so good. Been getting my confidence up and have a mini one day event entered and quite a big show class entered in the coming months.

Today I bought him in and he's ruptured a tendon :( this means he'll have to be on box rest for 3 to 6 months then have work slowly brought in for another few months until it heals. I am so so gutted. I spent years battling lameness issues with my older pony and I so hoped I could just have a horse I could enjoy and get out and about on but 3 months in and this happens :(

I have no luck :( big Neville hugs for me this evening as I'm pretty upset! (Not that he lets me :rolleyes:)

Just wanted to moan a bit :-(

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

oh no poor thing, hope he recovers well and hugs for you

3. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Oh...not again...
    Hugs....

4. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Thank you :) just so annoyed! That's horses for you :(

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Oh sorry to hear this. X

6. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Not much sympathy for the poor horse. I am sure he didn`t want to ruin your fun and to be stuck in his box for so long

7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this. I hope he heals well. I used to ride when I A lot younger. I introduced hubby to it too, He complained and said ( I'm being polite here ) it felt like his backside was going 4 ways at the same time. We also went riding over the Snowdonia mountains about 20 years ago. It was beautiful, I will never forget it. Sending lots of PF vibes for Neville.

Viv xx

8. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this. Sending purrey vibes.

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

That must be heart breaking.
    I hope the recovery is as swift as it can be and you can both get back to enjoying your partnership.

10. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Gutted for you - box rest and controlled return to work is a nightmare especially this time of year when everyone else is getting out to shows :( I do hope they horse is a sensible soul and won't get stressed.

11. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this :(

12. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Seriously? Of course I'm bothered about him, I don't want him cooped up for the whole summer, I'm upset that we both won't be able to get out and about. Thanks for making me feel even worse.

Thank you everyone else for your kind words, I do feel sorry for him as it's no fun on box rest. Fortunately he's a lovely calm boy so he should be ok with it. It's also in a position where it isn't painful as he can weight bear and walk on it, the apparatus is just a bit floppy :-(
    I shall be spending tomorrow finding things to give him to stop him being bored!

13. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Hide and seek carrots? Vegetable kebabs (carrot, swede etc strung on baker twine) I have a jolly ball you are welcome to have if he likes fiddling with things? (Mine never so much as picks up his bucket so it's completely redundant!).

14. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Ah hide and seek carrots is a good idea!
    That's a kind offer thank you :) but he's not really into fiddly things either! I can give him my other pony's treat ball during the day (woe betide anyone who takes it off old pony during his nights in though!) But I guess that he probably won't be interested as he's not really like that.

Definitely will hide carrots though as he'll probably enjoy using his brain trying to find them

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Its a good few years since daughter had these problems but I remember them well :( , both horse and rider totally p***ed off for weeks on end.
    Hope the recovery isn't too stressful for everyone .

16. leashedForLife

I'm so sorry to hear it, what a disappointment. :( The poor horse will be frustrated, too - longing to be out.
    I hope he recovers fully, & U get to at least a few events late in the season... Can he be lead-walked for hand grazing?
    that's a nice low-key activity.

17. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Yes he'll be able to be lead walked but it'll be a few months until he's allowed to. I feel so sorry for him :-(

18. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear this. A ruptured tendon is never good news but for it to happen right at the start of the main show/events calendar is a real blow.

I was lucky as i never had this happen in over 25 years of horse ownership but a couple of my friends did. I hope he heals swiftly and without complication.

19. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Thanks, he's settled into his stable and luckily it's right next door to my other ponies so they can talk to each other when he comes in in the evening.

It's incredibly bad timing! But hopefully the prognosis will be good and he can come back to full work. He's happy to walk around on it, it just looks very odd as his hock doesn't bend!

20. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Poor chap! At least he's settled... please could we have a photo? (I like admiring other people's horses!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice