Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sigh.... I don't think I'll ever get through...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by luvmydogs, May 1, 2011.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I work for very rich Saudis who have a few animals. They have 4 dogs, one of which who now has 3 pups (it gave birth to 4, one died) to a male who is at least twice the size of her. They are about 6 weeks, and have not eaten a thing yet, only getting fed from mum. They are never touched (apart from by me) and have not been wormed (the mother was not wormed before/during pregnancy either). She had a litter on her last season but they all died.
    They have 2 female longhaired cats who are kept in rabbit cages. They have now just bought a siamese male cat and shoved it in one of the cages with a female, so they can mate. I am really upset - I have been trying for months to at least change the mindset of the children. I'm getting nowhere. When I say the dogs should be walked, the children ask their parents who say its not necessary because they have a big garden. When I say the female dog and cat should not have litter after litter, there parents say it is natural and more cruel to put animals through needless operations. I think I will have to give up my job, I can't take seeing this any longer. Its well paid and they are supposed to be taking me (FIRST CLASS!) to USA this summer for 6 weeks - but I just can't get their lack of care for the animals out of my head. Their culture is very different from our so I know I'm fighting a losing battle. :cryin:

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I remember your other posts about the dogs :( I think I would have quit long ago hun. I admire you for sticking at it and trying to educate them.

It's so hard to understand why some people just don't seem to care about their pets!

I suppose the way they do things give us a glimpse at what it must have been like thousands (I know, but I'd like to think it was that long ago) of years ago for domestic animals. I just hope it doesn't take that long for them to catch up with the way the modern world thinks.

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have tried SO hard, printed all sorts off and used responsible pet ownership advice as part of my lessons. But their parents are just scuppering everything I do. They are such nice poeple too, just completely ignorant about animals. Its the year 1420 something here (they have a different calendar) so they are waaaaay behind with regard to modern animal keeping. :(

4. Shayden

Shayden Banned

hmmm...... i get what you mean when you say you want to leave..... but if your going... please please please call the rspca before you go! take pics of the care and of the cats in the rabbit hutches!... (and make sure you leave straight after you get paid) lool

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I am in Saudi Arabia lol!

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

oh blimey, not sure what to even suggust really, some people just dont get it! :(

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Ooh Taylorbaby, the longhaired cats are exactly like the one in your avatar....

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

please dont tell me :( :( that cage your kidding :blink:

are things different over there with views to pets though?

10. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

They are obviously expensive pedigree cats. The male they have just bought is a siamese - and just to give you an idea of how much they know - they are hoping for a black or ginger kitten from the pairing. :rolleyes::
    Yes, things are very different here. At least they feed them and keep them clean, (the maids bathe them) some Saudi get puppies/kittens then throw them out into the desert when they don't do as they are told. :(

11. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I wouldn't be able to work with them either. You won't be able to change their minds, I used to work in the Middle East too and while they are lovely people who were always respectful and polite they just have this mindset that is impossible to get through to. They don't respect animals, they are just posessions.

So glad I had my son and got out when I did.

12. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

I know there are very different ways of caring for pets in different parts of the world but this does make me feel so sad. There is no respect for the animal and their needs and I could never be in this position, I'd have quit a long time ago or intervened and got the sack!

13. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I'm about ready to leave. In what way would you have intervened? Impossible, really. Trying to educate is the only way, believe me.

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I was thinking about this last night while I was drifting off to sleep and wondered ... Have you ever tried a different approach with them? But first, are they breeding for money, and/or status?

I'd gather up loads of info about breeding and raising pets. Give them the best possible reasons to do things right ... healthy, good looking ... MORE valuable animals that people will pay over the odds to own.

Explain that stressed queens and bitches will not produce young that will fulfil their potential. Yet a happy queen or bitch will produce beautiful healthy babies ;)

I've now got a feeling you've already tried this too though :(

15. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Unfotunatey i agree with you on this, they do just think they are possessions and dont think of feelings. This unfortunately is similar in a lot of places including europe. :(

16. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

I can`t believe the poor cats are being kept in those cages:(

Different cultures have different views of animals tho, attempts to educate have failed but hopefully some of what you have taught the children may be retained in their memory & possibly make them question this when they are older.

I certainly couldn`t be around that without exploding, so i admire you for being able to remain calm & try to change things this long. This is obviously taking a huge emotional toll on you so I think maybe your right & it is time to leave.

17. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

They are not breeding for any reason other than 'its natural'. I've done all the things you suggested unfortunately.:(

18. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

In that cage is a big litter tray too, so there's hardly any room at all :(
    I am ready to explode. And as these are powerful people, exploding will only go against me. I have to stay calm. But I can't take this much more. :crying:

19. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

What do you do out there? Is there no way you can look for work with someone else?

20. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I'm a speech and language therapist. I have no problem getting work, its just such a shame, these are lovely people in every other way and their children need me. I'm the only western therapist here. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice